I have a 2005 merc bigfoot 25hp prop question

kippap

Recruit
I have a 25 hp bigfoot merc .I am looking at getting alittle more speed out of it the pitch is 12 . the boat is a 16 foot fiberglass older boat very heavy it will do 40 kilometers per hour converts to about 25 miles acording to my humming bird gps. I am looking at a piranna prop. any suggestions on this prop or any other ideas to get more speed. please help if you can thank you

rndn

Commander
Re: I have a 2005 merc bigfoot 25hp prop question

The best way to get more speed is to get a smaller lighter boat or a bigger more horsepower motor. You really need to prop your boat so the engine is allowed to operate in the manufacturers suggested rpm's at wide open throttle(WOT). Propping your boat for anything else will place additional stresses on your motor and help it to an early grave.

rndn

Commander

I didn't notice this was your first post so...
Welcome to the forum!!:):)

kippap

Recruit

thanks for the welcome to the forum I was hoping to change the pitch on the prop but maybe thats not a good idea might have to just be satified with what I have ...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you can give us the present max rpm at speed we can probably figure if a prop change is in order.You also may be able to raise the motor a little at a time to a point just before venting becomes a problem.
25 isn't bad for the un refined setup.Of course the big foot isn't the ideal
for a high speed setup.