Strengthen Transom?

zach103

Commander
Is there anyway to strengthen a transom without having to redo it.. mines pretty sturdy now but i just want that extra support so i dont have to worry.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Strengthen Transom?

It's one of those things that if it's good, then it's good and nothing needs to be done and if it's not good then it's bad and needs to be fixed. People add metal braces to try and extend the life of of a rotting transom, most do a poor job though and the bracing doesn't do much. Without really digging into a transom and/or stringers there's no way to tell just how bad it is, most of the time people think there's just a small area with rot and when the rip into it they find it was far worse than they thought.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

It's one of those things that if it's good, then it's good and nothing needs to be done

just give it a through inspection zach

that will give you peace of mind

zach103

Commander

well i redoing the floor so i figured while im already in there.. could i just put a couple layers of glass on the inside.. or like you guys said just leave it?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

zach....if your goin in there.....and the transom is totally dry.....why the heck not add a layer.....another thing that will ad signifant stregnth....is to add "knees" to the stringer......

(but giver a full inspection before you add anything....other wise...youll just be trapping water......

one other thing you might want to do....if the transom is dry....(totally) and you want to further prevent water intrusion.......paint that sucker with gellcoat !...(bilge too)....forget looks and sanding to a fine polish. just gell it and smooth the gell as best you can

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Since you have the floor out right now check the transom and stringers very close, I would cut into both of them and see what they look like inside before going any further. It's rare to have a bad floor and no rot elsewhere in the boat.

zach103

Commander

yah we aleady replaced the stringers.. put the foam back in and cut the floor panels out.. now its ready to be glassed in.. but im working with a guy whos just like most of you guys here. hes done tons of boats and knows what hes doing so he can help me finish this.. i jsut figured while i have him helping me i might as well support some stuff..

oops what do you mean by adding "knees"?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Well, sounds things are in good shape then, it won't hurt to add a little extra here and there, but don't over do it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

post # 385 in the hull extension thrread has a photo.......i know theres a better one of them but i missed it....(if you have a page format....its on page 16)
you could easily do this at the point you are at....

...bear in mind......all of this stuff is way over kill.....read ondarvrs post about it being good..."then its good"....the general rule of thumb....is duplicte what was there.....the manufacturers over built your boat in the first place....by glassing in the wood stringers....adding more to the transom...you are really beefing it up so much that it will probably never need the stregnth your adding

...(btw) adding another layer of glass to the transom....will just thicken it...and not do you much good..(as it will be only as good as the origonal bond to the plywood)..but if you wrap the glass around the back of the hull by a good 6 inches..(tabbing)...(see hull ext)..you will get the extra stregnth you are looking for......remember any glass that you add....you will need to rough & scuff the orgional glass...

hope that mess of thoughts helps :eek: