evinrude 18 hp 1956 carb trouble

stellarj

Recruit
Having trouble with fuel continuing to flow into carb. and sometimes out the upper left side out a vent hole? Any thoughts?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: evinrude 18 hp 1956 carb trouble

You most definitely have a bad float or a bad float valve and seat. Or an improperly adjusted float. I have had a carb top half that would do that and I NEVER figured out why....I tried a new float and new float valve and seat but it still wouldn't work. Used the same parts on a different upper carb half and it worked fine. Check your float and float needle valve and seat and you'll most likely find your problem. Also, be sure your float is not upside down and that the float swivels on the shaft smoothly.
Just a tip---instead of going through the headache of reinstalling the carb and it still not shutting the fuel off, just hook up your fuel line directly to the carb and try it. When you get the fuel to shut off properly, put it back on and go fishin'.
Good luck,
JBJ

P.S. --just for kicks, I thought I'd mention that the fastwin in '56 was a 15hp. The first 18hp was made in '57.:)

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: evinrude 18 hp 1956 carb trouble

If the carb has been kept clean, it's probably a deteriorated needle valve seat...they degrade and lose their ability to seal. Only way to check is to pull and disassemble the carb. As JB said, could also be a float problem...if the float passes the float test, make sure it is installed right side up.