'75 Johnson Electric Start button

Joe Dirt

Seaman
I've been having issues with my electric start button on the side of my 15HP. This motor had an electric start conversion done, and they had a remote box mounted with a momentary switch installed when I bought it. I also had a 15HP Evinrude with factory electric start, with the button on the side of the motor in the factory location.

Upon selling the other boat, I swapped the button onto my Johnson, requiring splicing the wires and swapping over the stuff since both were spliced in previously.

Over time, the switch is tempermental, sometimes would work fine for weeks, then had to move the wires around- and now won't work at all. I can't find these switches anywhere- I'd like to get a new switch and rewire it into the starter, and do away with the spliced wires altogether. Dealer here is no help, they want to sell me an entire starter kit for like $300. Should I just rewire a remote switch? I like the factory location, and don't have a lot of space for a remote box on my boat...

Thanx!
Joe

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: '75 Johnson Electric Start button

As I recall, there is not much room inside the cowl for the switch. I would check with a auto store, or Radio Shack. A sealed switch would be the best if you can find one.

Joe Dirt

Seaman

Does anyone know a source for the factory sealed switch? That's the one I really want to get... If I can't get one, I'll probably mount a remote switch out of the motor someplace. Called another dealer today, and darned if they said they can't sell just a switch either. What gives?!?!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

You could look for a push button kill switch off an older engine.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Joe,I have installed many,however the yrs.I cant remember.BUT,go to the BRP (bombardier)website,I looked for you but couldnt get the link right(Im not a good computer guy)On the site find the parts and look up a 1988 9.9.They have a part number which is0395699 for the switch,the nut ,which I doubt comes with it 0319601the switch goes into a hole ,starboard side of the alum.front piece of mid section,I can only describe it as the angled piece the lock tab on front of cowling slips into,you would not see it too easy its on the side,if you look for the picture on the parts site it may help,if you have trouble let me know and ill try and find the link.

bd5964

Cadet

If all the other wiring is there,just use a neutral start switch for the same motor.
Less expensive, you will have to dig the potting out of the original switch to free the wires in order to connect.
Sierra sells a switch as well but I don't care for it, breaks easily.
Best site on the web for the Johnnyrude 15/9.9 http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Johnson 9.9_15.htm

Bill

Joe Dirt

Seaman

Thanks for the help all, I'll be checking these out at work tomorrow. Mine has the switch mounted in the midsection- so that's the one I'm looking for, sounds like that's it...

Thanks again!

-Joe