Evinrude Outboard Steering?

amazinthing

Cadet
I have a 1970 something Evinrude 60Hp outboard. The Model number is 60173C and the Serial number is J09427. It has a solid bolt through the tilt tube. How and which mounting bracket will I need to get this boat on the water. I have done all renovations myself and this is one of the last I need to get it going. Any help would be greatly appreciated

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evinrude Outboard Steering?

pictures of the situation would help with this.

amazinthing

Cadet

alright.... I cant get pics, but I will describe it better.... the cable from the wheel exits the cable hole on the back of the boat near the transom. It then is supposed to pass through the base of the motor and screw onto a piece at one end with a swing arm that then is bolted to the piece through the motor and attached to the steering colomn that comes out of the motor and bolted.. I have no way of running the initial cable through a port on the motor. It does not have power tilt/trim just manual. The current bolt that runs through it is smaller than the steering cable so I just cant substitute one for the other and get the swing arm... I have read that a front mount steering bracket can be attached and made to work

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

is/was your engine a tiller engine, and not origionaly remote control?

Anyway, a transom mount steering tube will solve your problem.

I have pics of my set up (same problem as you) but photobuckets not working right now, ill post some up soon

amazinthing

Cadet

I do think it was tiller steering... It has all the looks of it

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you need a transom bracket for the steering tube, and a connection arm. trying to get part #s.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That stuff is all available right here at iboats. I'll bet tashasdaddy will be back shortly with the links.

amazinthing

Cadet

Thank you guys for all the help. I've been trying to do some research of my own as well... Waiting on the correct part numbers so I can order them. I have no clue of the correct parts so waiting to get some help from the fellas that do know. THank you guys