Downrigger line- cable vs braid "super line"

I've had wire line on my cannon for as long as i can remember and haven't had many problems but I've seen a lot of new lines coming out and they say braided line is better because it will not kink, doesn't stretch like you'd think and it doesn't make a vibrating noise in the water which could scare fish away. I noticed a frayed area on my cable line so I need to replace anyway, was wondering if anyone has used the braided "super line" on their downriggers. If so what would be the pro's and con's of using this stuff..

rndn

Commander
Re: Downrigger line- cable vs braid "super line"

That vibration noise always told me I was trolling at the right speed for salmon fishing.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I use 150 pound test spectra.The line is much thinner so there is less water resistance which makes for (more) precise depth control.Spectra does not have any electromagnetic fields that fish often pick up on.I use the 150 pound line on 6 pound balls.I would go for a heavier line with 8 or 10 pound balls.
By the way,I use it on your old Penn down riggers.

rndn

Commander

I use 150 pound test spectra.The line is much thinner so there is less water resistance which makes for (more) precise depth control.Spectra does not have any electromagnetic fields that fish often pick up on.I use the 150 pound line on 6 pound balls.I would go for a heavier line with 8 or 10 pound balls.
By the way,I use it on your old Penn down riggers.

I'm glad you were able to get some use out of my brothers old Penn downriggers. After 10 years of trolling for Salmon and Trout I just didn' want to get back into it again. I do still have 2 downriggers stashed away with spoons and J-Plugs and 4 trolling rods in case I decide to do it again.

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used both in the past ,and here is what I found .I always used the down rigger braid from Cabala's.
Advantages:
1, With braid there is no annoying hum.
2.The braid is cheaper to replace then stainless wire.
3 Braid doesn't kink,and become weak
4 Brain cuts the water better then stainless. There fore causing less blow back .
Disadvantages:
1 A down rigger with auto stop with not work with braid
2 Every two to three seasons,I had to refresh the spools. This helped to keep the fresher braid on top of the spool.
3It's not as strong as stainless,and if your down rigger weight get hung up,it breaks easier the stainless...
My new riggers have the coated stainless line ,and there is no hum. I used the braid with 10 lb weights and never had a problem.

rlk

Seaman Apprentice

Both of my Cannon downriggers sing or hum when the weights are 20 - 25 feet deep. I have not tried them any deeper.

The noise does not bother me, but I got to wondering about whether it has any effect on the fish or not. Anyone know?

Thanks, Bob

Sounds like the coated stainless would be nice, assuming auto stop will still work. Any idea's where to get it? I've looked at cabelas website and a few local tackle stores with no luck.. I went to priest lake a last weekend for mac's and one of my downriggers stopped distributing wire evenly thus almost creating a rat nest in the spool, could be a real problem since it's already kinked and a strand is broken off.. maybe it would fix that as well. thanks for the output

Zero Balance

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Canon sells the coated rigger cable. It's used with their Speed & Temp.

Another thing to consider is, if your using wire for a dipsy then you have a chance that it'll likely cut your braided line if the wire comes in contact with it.

Personally, I havent seen any scientific proof that the cable hum attracts or deters fish. I do know that when I'm running the appropriate speed I'll here the hum and if the currents are out of whack that lack of hum keeps me tuned in. The hum, the arc of the dipsy rods, the true or slanted run of the lines, all this is information I use. Some say rather than waste $$ on electronics its all one needs to catch fish.... That and a big cooler of beer...:D

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Disadvantages:
1 A down rigger with auto stop with not work with braid

Why is this? Can the stops not hold on the braided line? I've got two Scotty's and was thinking braided next time but not if the stops don't work.

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tacklewasher sorry for the late reply,as I haven't been here for awhile. The reason that the Cannon auto-stop wont work with braid is simple.. Cannon uses a inline isolator on downriggers with auto-stop. When the isolator breaks the surface of the water, the downrigger will shut off. This happens because the electrical loop,of the downrigger,the isolator and the stainless steel wire is broken. With braid there is no conductivity of the downrigger line,there fore no electrical loop is ever created.