Water pump repair/replacement on 72 or 73-50 HP Johnson

michmax

Recruit
Have a 73-50 HP Johnson 50ESL73R, an electric shift model. Need to drop lower unit to install/repair water pump. I have parts catalog and a Clymer shop manual which has good illustrations but nothing about dropping the lower unit or dealing with the wiring of this special model.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water pump repair/replacement on 72 or 73-50 HP Johnson

72 is hydro-electric shift. unplug the shift wire, tie a string to them, then knock out the grommet they go thru, remove the bolts on the lower, including the fin and the one under the fin. the impeller is easy, besure to replace the oring on top of the drive shaft. when installing be sure the water tube gets in place, and the wire does not get against drive shaft of exhaust housing, pull wire up with string reseat the grommet. the wire is brittle.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 1970 115 hp evinrude with the electric shift. Just replaced mine. It was EASY! I unhooked the two wires and took electrical tape and taped them and did a hockey twist with the tape for about 3 feet. Dropped the lower unit and then unhooked the wire from the tape. After I replaced the impeller I then rehooked the wires up to the tape, put some dish soap on the cable so it was easy to pull the wires back up through the hole. Be sure to lower the motor down one you have the lower unit ready to push up to bolt. I had trouble getting the drive shaft to line up until i lowered the motor down, then it went up and in "like a glove."

themarinedoctor.com has a video that shows replacing the impeller on an older johnson motor. heres the link to video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj1c4oYpHAw

Last edited:

michmax

Recruit

Thank you ALL for this valuable prep info, just one thing I assume it is critical that the wires be connected exactly to the SAME ONES feeding the shifting mechanism, am I right? Also is there any special way to remove the gromet without destroying it so it can be used again?

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

i just used a permanent marker and marked two corresponding wires at the top , then unhooked them. My cable was designed like an earthworm, towards the end it is designed fatter so when you pull the cable back up it locks in place. I didn't have to knock out anything. Just dropped the lower unit and the cable pulled right down.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use a small wood dowel, to free mine.