diagnosing a gear ratio

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can any one tell me the correct way to check a gear ratio on an outdrive?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: diagnosing a gear ratio

The easiest way is to read it from the sticker. :p. You may be able to use the serial number to determine it too assuming someone didn't rebuild it and change it.

Barring that you can count teeth on the gears if it's apart or if removed, put it in gear, turn the drive shaft 10-20 turns or so, and have someone count the turns of the prop (you may need a protractor to measure fractions of a turn if you REALLY want to be accurate) and get out the calculator.

input shaft turns divided by propshaft turns = ratio (Yoke/Prop=ratio)

If it's a 1.5:1 or 2:1 drive it's easy.....3 turns of the yoke will produce 2 prop turns or 2 turns to 1 turn respectively.

If it's 1.43 to 1 you'll have to turn the input shaft more turns.... 143 to be precise. it would be 143 revs of the yoke to 100 revs of the prop etc.... This is where the protractor comes in handy...

For example, with a 1.43:1 drive the input shaft (engine) turns 1.43 revolutions for every 1 revolution of the prop......... If you measure exactly 1 turn of the prop. you would have to measure 1.43 "turns" of the yoke....... 0.43 times 360 degrees would be about 155 degrees.

so 1.43 turns would be 1 revolution + 155 degrees more

Bondo

Staff member

Can any one tell me the correct way to check a gear ratio on an outdrive?

Ayuh,....

What Outdrive,..??..??

droptheline

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HT that was a great explanation. im gonna print and save that. thank you, with that said i got a 1.6 something (no protractor) pre alpha which had been hanging around my fathers basement, i put it on my 3.0 88 mercruiser after i blew my orginal upper gear housing, and it went like 5 miles an hour with a 15 pitch prop and i didnt get any more than 2300 rpms, so i put my old lower with this new upper and its better but still slow and i get that ping at full throttle like your starting off in third gear in acar, and the boat cant maintain speed cornering, so long story short i m trying to sell the thing cause its newly rebuilt and i wanted to know the exact gear ratio so im not screwing the next guy as i have gotten a drive that was suppose to be one thing and turns out to be another and it blows your season to say the less, the things all look the same and the older ones never have numbers, u cant go wrong buying new but sometimes the budget doesnt allow for it. so again thanks for helping me out this site rocks