1986 evinrude idle screw

edthearcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a SELOC johnson evinrude repair man. I read and read but there idle adjustment photos do not look like my 140 HP mtr I have 2 linkages one moves when in gear the other when its out of gear, 3/4 of the way up there are 2 brass screws one facing to the rear the other forward, with rubber caps on the ends above that is a plastic or metal tube with what looks like a 1/4 x20 bolt with a lock nut just below the fly wheel. I wish to speed up the idle speed slightly when iam moving along and come to a stop the engine shuts off I would like to correct this thank you Ed:redface:

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 evinrude idle screw

Your first sentence is a clear indication of why most "high-ranking" posters on this site will tell you the only thing the after-market manuals are good for are emergency toilet paper. Get an OEM manual so you won't have these problems any more. You'll end up saving yourself a lot of headaches and maybe even some cash:D

I am not familiar with your engine but I believe the top screw is the idle adjustment screw. I say this because it has a spring-load nut which I think helps keep the screw from "walking" but allows for routine adjustment. The other screw probably limits forward movement of the throttle to limit the WOT. Or it could be for timing but I couldn't tell from the brief view of your engine schematic that I used. this screw just has a nut on it that locks the screw in place, indicating that it is not common to move this screw-setting once set.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of your model will offer some more advice.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 evinrude idle screw

No need to mess with either of those screws. If you moved the one under the flywheel you'll want to recheck the wot timing as I think the one you're describing is the full advance timing stop.

The screw with the locknut just under the flywheel is how you adjust the idle. It moves the timer base.