Strap Protectors for My Boat

bassinms

Cadet
I have a custom fit boat cover that fits great, but the problem is the 1" nylon straps rub against my boat leaving black scars on the paint. Obviously, I am not happy with this; so I am looking for suggestions on what to do? I can't take the cover back because I bought it last year before the winter.

I have been looking for some type of strap protector to slip over the nylon strap, but the only thing I have come up with is a fleece protector that will cost close to $200.00 in order to buy enough to protect the boat.

Right now, I have used velcro to attach a piece of wool material where the straps rub to keep it from happening, but this is a short term fix....

Any suggestions would be great.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Strap Protectors for My Boat

take the cover off when towing.

rndn

Commander

How about a piece of clear flexible PVC tubing?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Buy some of those micro fiber towels and velcro or sew to the straps.
Its a very soft no scratch material. They are used for detailing cars and are very scratch resistant.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Try twisting the straps a few times before buckling. I'm not sure if it will work with straps that narrow but works well to keep the 2" wide gunwale tiedown straps from marking the boat.

bassinms

Cadet

tashasdaddy - Since I boat the cover specifically for use when towing the boat, it would be hard to explain to my wife I spent that kind of money for nothing .... GULP !!

bassinms

Cadet

How about a piece of clear flexible PVC tubing?

Now that is creative thinking. I might have to look into this, it should work great - Thanks.

Thanks to all of you who posted, hopefully I will find something that will work.

Now that is creative thinking. I might have to look into this, it should work great - Thanks.

Thanks to all of you who posted, hopefully I will find something that will work.

It seems like PVC tubes will continue to create friction on your hull and create dull spots in the gel coat. As for removing the dark spots from the straps, use a soft rag with a little acetone. Be careful as acetone will eat gel coat if you use too much. After using acetone to remove the scuffs, apply wax and buff. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

204 Escape

Ensign

Go to the hardware store and buy some of that gray foam pipe insulation. It is already split, so you can wrap it around youir straps. It's cheap, and can easily be cut to the desired length.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

P5232995web.jpg
I have a custom fit boat cover that fits great, but the problem is the 1" nylon straps rub against my boat leaving black scars on the paint. Obviously, I am not happy with this; so I am looking for suggestions on what to do? I can't take the cover back because I bought it last year before the winter.

I have been looking for some type of strap protector to slip over the nylon strap, but the only thing I have come up with is a fleece protector that will cost close to $200.00 in order to buy enough to protect the boat.

Right now, I have used velcro to attach a piece of wool material where the straps rub to keep it from happening, but this is a short term fix....

Any suggestions would be great.

Simple fix. I don't know where you got the $200 figure from. I bought a yard of fleece at the local fabric store and made up a bunch of sleeves custom fit to the length of strap. Used them on the transom tie downs as well as the cover. Took my wife all of 15 minutes to sew them all up and I think I might have paid $20 for the materials.

I don't have a pic of the cover straps, but here is one I snap on the front seat when the seat back is put down for trailering. No chance of any varnish coming in contact now.

(EDIT - PS - I looked at the dates too late. Sorry for posting on an old thread. Maybe the old ones should be automatically locked after some time period)