Leaving boat in water - What do I need to know?

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just moved into a house on a lake that has a communal dock - 6 other homes have access to it, but from what I understand, NOBODY else uses it. Basically, my own private dock. Anyway, the plan is for me to launch at the public boat launch on fridays and leave it tied to the dock on weekends for easy access - The ramp is about 5-6 twisty miles away from the house. I've always trailered my boat in the past and don't know what I need to know when leaving the boat in the water (fresh water) for a few days. I know I need to make sure the auto bilge pump is working well - how do I test this?
What else do I need to know/do when leaving it?
Thanks,
Erik
'99 Sea Ray 190 BR

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Leaving boat in water - What do I need to know?

Erik,
If its fresh water i doubt you will pick-up any growth on the hull,it may stain the hull some...the stains can be removed with TSP, available at any hardware store, as for the bilge pump, it may have a separate "float" that activates the pump when the float rises to a certain level...try lifting the float until you hear the pump turn on, if the switch is built into the pump...then you should have a manual switch on the dash,flip it to "manual" again you should hear the pump kick in...return switch to "auto",make sure your battery's are fully charged,if you have a selector switch..make sure you leave the battery going to the pump in the ON position, for my boat i have redundant systems....2 bilge pumps connected to separate circuits...and both are rated larger than specified for my boat,Also make sure your bellows is not leaking,by leaving it in the water...after 24 hrs,you'll know if you have any leaks.Other than that,check on it the morning after...there shouldn't be any water in the bilge.if there is....find the leak,before docking,leaks only get worse,and relying on the bilge pump...not a great idea.

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are really going to enjoy the convenience of having your boat in the water. Early morning unplanned fishing because you woke, late after dinner cruise with the wife....my boats normally trailered so a week with boat in water at cottage is a real treat.

Be prepared to go check on your boat after the first storm no matter how late, even if your certain the auto-bilge is good and boat cover. It's impossible not to check on boat if your not used to it being in the water. Do put cover on if rains in forecast, prop up pole so water doesn't pool....nice when seats are dry and your making the most of few hours sun after a storm.

Make sure floor drains clear, nothing to block bilge pump float from rising and you'll be fine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get mooring covers made for it if you do not have them. they keep 99% of rain out, keeps the boat clean, deters theft. with out knowing the dock situation, how it is set up, hard to give good advice.

we dock our boat in August at a rental house in the Keys, we have taylor made mooring whips, the boat never touches the dock, even in rough weather. we wash down the boat every night and install the covers,(5 minutes) this way we have a nice clean fresh boat for the morning.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

i rented a slip 20mins from my home when I got my new boat. . .but I never use it b/c I am too paranoid :)

In my mind I can picture coming out for a ride and seeing it under water :eek:

I did have it there for a week and the convenience of having it in the water was awesome. . . If i lived on the lake and saw the boat everyday, I would leave it in.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have my boat docked 20 minutes from my house. I check on it at least once a week whether I have used it or not. I have the bilge pump wired direct to the battery so I turn the switch off. I was worried this summer because this is an old boat, but its still floating fine. I get some water in it when it rains, but the bilge pump keeps up with that fine. I charge the battery every 3 weeks or so. I have the bottom painted with antifouling because its staying in all summer. I can only suggest that you try it for the weekend at first, and then just bite the bullet and paint the bottom and keep it there all summer. Trust me its nice to get off work, decide you want to go out on the boat and not have to worry about hitching, trailering, launching etc. Just drive there and go.

SturgeonLake

Seaman Apprentice

Keep your prop out of the water, muskrats love rubber. Also, if the water's hard, you'll get build-up on the prop.

I had a Lund parked in front of my house for 6 years (in season.) Never once checked for an auto bilge pump, never once got too much water in it. Just stop and think how much rain it would take to fill your boat such that it would sink.

If you can, keep your gas at the house...miscreants have trolled up our shore several times over the years searching for more gas.