Evinrude 9.9 HP , No Spark

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 9.9 HP evinrude outboard motor. It has been sitting for probably about 10 year without being started. I tried starting it today and it wouldn't start. First, i thought it was the carburetor, but then i decided i would check for spark. There was no spark. I know its not the spark plugs, any ideas on why else its receiving no spark besides the spark plugs?

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude 9.9 HP , No Spark

Had a similar problem but mine was a weak spark.

I replaced the ignition coils and power pack and that fixed it for me.

But check the igntion coils are not cracked around the casing. If so, definitely replace. It might be worth replacing coils and power pack anyway if you plan to keep it and use it often. Bit of an expense (for the power pack especially).

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The "Outboard Wont Start" thread by JB in the FAQ will be of interest to you.

In regards to your NO SPARK scenario, go over the following. Extracted from the CDI Troubleshooting Guide.

1. Disconnect the black/yellow stop wire and retest. If the engine's ignition has spark, the stop circuit has a fault-check the key switch, harness and shift switch.

2. Check the stator and trigger resistance and DVA output as given below:

Wire Color: Check to Wire Color: Resistance: DVA Reading
Brown wire: Brown/Yellow wire: 450-550: 150V or more Connected
Black/White wire: White/Black wire: 15-42: 0.6V or more Connected

Some engines use the following wiring on the trigger:

White wire: Blue wire: 15-42: 0.6V or more Connected
White wire: Green wire: 15-42: 0.6V or more Connected

3. Check the cranking RPM. A cranking speed of less than 250-RPM will not allow the system to spark properly.

4. Check the DVA output on the orange wires from the power pack while connected to the ignition coils. You should have a reading of at least 150V or more. If the readings are low, disconnect the orange wires from the ignition coils and reconnect them to a load resistor. Retest. If the reading is now good, the ignition coil is likely bad. A continued low reading indicates a bad power pack.

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

Had a similar problem but mine was a weak spark.

I replaced the ignition coils and power pack and that fixed it for me.

But check the igntion coils are not cracked around the casing. If so, definitely replace. It might be worth replacing coils and power pack anyway if you plan to keep it and use it often. Bit of an expense (for the power pack especially).

baithrower, about how much of an expense. give me a estimate please

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I would go with HighTrim's procedure first before I started throwing parts at it.

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

yes i know. but i might just send it to a marina, and let them fix it. i'm just wondering how much money i could be looking at here. any ideas?

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These are the prices I paid for the parts... these are Sierra parts

Power Pack - $60.33
Ignition Coils - $37.94 for two.

So around $100 for powerpack and two coils. But see above instructions and try those first to diagnose exact problem.

Prices are in US Dollars. These parts are easy to replace yourself if you want to save on labor charges. Pretty much a straight swap with only a couple bolts and wire removal and reconnects.

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks baithrower. 100 dollars + Carburetor cleaning

BaitThrower

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok mate good luck with it. I have the '86 15hp johnson which is pretty mucht he same motor I believe as the 9.9hp plus a few carb and carb throat mods.

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

Oh yeah probably a very similar motor. I am going away in upstate New York for 3 weeks, so i think i am just going to send it to a local marina and let them fix it. Thanks for the info though.