How old is too old when looking to purchase a boat?

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My eyes are about to bleed from reading about boats too much :p

I don't want to spend more than 15k for a used runabout or bowrider. I know that I am limited on my selection by either getting a newer entry level brand, or an older upper level brand. What should I do when judging the boat in terms of the age of it? Is there an age that is too old?

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How old is too old when looking to purchase a boat?

I love boats. I have 4. I want to sell one but that is besides the point. I would not buy new. One thing there are many of to choose from is boats. For the amount of money you have to spend you will find a honey of a boat.
I purchased my last boat, a 1996 21ft. Celebrity Starfire limited edition cuddy cabin, with 230 hrs. on it for 13,500. I jumped on it because the bank would have given me 20,000 to buy it.
It has the fuel injected 350 with silent choice exhaust , power trim tabs and a bravo 1. One owner heated shop kept.

Super deals are out there to have.

JT!

Petty Officer 1st Class

it depends whether or not you want a boat that's ready to go or one thats needs "a lil work".

guestimate your time and money to repair it, triple it, and then decide if you want to restore an old boat or not. maybe a fully functional boat is the way to go. depends on your means, your craftsman skills, and most importantly, time.

you haven't mentioned whther you were looking at wood, aluminium or fiberglass. i will guess you are talking about a 60's wooden runabout.​

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its all relative...old boats were built using old technology, therefore unless the previous owner(s) took great care of her,there is a high probability of there being rot,worn cables,tired wiring,delamination...a plethora of problems,most of which will elude a check thru,now a newer boat ( within 10 yrs) might cost more..BUT. again, if she was well maintained there might still be lots of life left in her. regardless of the age, it all comes down to maintainance.....look for the boats that have proud owners,stored indoors/good cover & canvas,especially canvas,i have found if an owner really cares he/she will spend money on good canvas. Lastly...15K will buy you alot of boat,its a buyers market. Good Luck.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion the only limitation of age is parts availability.
I had a 1929(yes 29) Dodge runabout for over 25 years ran it just about every friday and saturday through close to 25 summers.Yes it did need some work when I sold it a few years ago But I sold it for about 5 times what I paid for it.Most of the needed repair was that typical of a 75 year old boat.
Of course modern boats are a little different but its the same idea find a well cared for low hour boat and it should be an easy pleasure to own.
Keeping in mind "a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money".

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O heck no. I am talking about a 95-05 runabout or bowrider.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

As one of our top knowledgeable members would say "A boat 30 years old taken care of can be in better shape than a boat 3 years old that was neglected" .Instead of looking at the ads and pics, get out and physically look at them. And most important thing,,,,,,Test Drive it

When I know that its time to spend X amount of dollars on a toy, I don't rush out and find something quick. Sometimes I'll spend maybe even up to a year to find what I want at a my price. I will look at the things about 20 to 30% above of my price range. Watch and see how long the boat it sits on the market. Usually around 8 months (if it hasn't sold yet) is when you make an offer of what you can afford. Or you can try once a month, sometimes you never know.:D More than likely, they will accept. This way you end up getting a boat that is worth more than you paid.

As for your title :D As long as I can get out of bed.........SS

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

O heck no. I am talking about a 95-05 runabout or bowrider.
For the coin you are ready to drop, you will definitely find a premium boat within those parameters. You shouldn't need to spend that much.
Are you looking in the 16 to 18 foot range?

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thunderman was taken :eek: I had to use my backup handle, I am a weatherman in Arkansas. I have been messing around for several years now but I am finally going to buy a boat this winter. It is now time to obsess, that is just how I operate :D

I want to learn as much as possible, and get as much information as possible on boats before I get close to buying one. All the reading in the world will help me, but actually getting out there is what will be the best. Problem is that I just don't have the time lately.

As one of our top knowledgeable members would say "A boat 30 years old taken care of can be in better shape than a boat 3 years old that was neglected" .Instead of looking at the ads and pics, get out and physically look at them. And most important thing,,,,,,Test Drive it

When I know that its time to spend X amount of dollars on a toy, I don't rush out and find something quick. Sometimes I'll spend maybe even up to a year to find what I want at a my price. I will look at the things about 20 to 30% above of my price range. Watch and see how long the boat it sits on the market. Usually around 8 months (if it hasn't sold yet) is when you make an offer of what you can afford. Or you can try once a month, sometimes you never know.:D More than likely, they will accept. This way you end up getting a boat that is worth more than you paid.

As for your title :D As long as I can get out of bed.........SS

iamthunderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

actually, a 21-24 footer. I have 3 kids under 5, they have friends too LOL
For the coin you are ready to drop, you will definitely find a premium boat within those parameters. You shouldn't need to spend that much.
Are you looking in the 16 to 18 foot range?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Twenty to thirty year old Boston Whalers are usually better boats than anything you will find made in the last ten years. They will also be much better buys and usually hold value better than a Hemi-Cuda.

For your wants a Revenge 22 or Outrage 22 cuddy sounds like the ticket and can be found in your price range.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I found these two old girls in about 5min. & both are in your price range.

1968 Vintage Jersey Speed Skiff, a Bender hull, 283 Flagship motor with transmission, glass hull with a wood deck, new carpet, upholstery, stainless OJ prop, bench seat, usable front cockpit with storage under seat, multiple covers. Complete with a nice trailer and ready to run for fun and/or the APBA Vintage Race Boat Circuit.

DSC_0081.JPG

1956 Switzer Craft - Shooting Star
Professionally restored to original, show condition with a 1958 Johnson Super Sea Horse 35 HP motor, in original mint condition with a rare 8 1/2 x 12 racing prop. Complete with a nice trailer.

Weirs-2001-65.jpg

It really just depends on what you are looking for. A bowrider (sort of) and a runabout. :D

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I don't know what Hemi Cudas you have been watching JB, but have a seat before you look at this one......:eek:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/20/2007-rm-auction-scottsdale-hemi-cuda-convertible-brings-2-2/

Ditto on the Boston Whaler, however. :)

I have a friend who sold the same car 4 times and still owns it. It went twice to Japan, once to Russia, and once to the middle east.

He sold it each time with a contractual agreement that he had first shot at it should the buyer wish to sell, at the actual market value at the time of the sell.

The car was bought over and over again by speculators who all improved the restoration there by increasing the quality of the car, and then were forced to sell because of crashing economies, and bad investments.

Each time the buyer was in trouble, and the market had fallen, and not gone up as the buyers had hoped. :cool:

He has as of this day made $1.7 million on the car, and it is still in his garage.

Nice way to make a living.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes you get more.

P.S. Sometimes you also get less, if you are not a expert, call one.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

Willyclay

Captain

If you are looking to spend as much as $15K for a boat and intend to buy a previously-owned boat, find yourself a Marine Surveyor. Once you have identified The Boat, a couple hundred bucks will be well-spent to have a pro inspect it for you. Otherwise, you may wind up with an expensive project!

Last edited:

freddyray21

Commander

my 1972 Searay is in better condition than a lot of the newer boats I see out on the lake. The only two times it has been towed in was when someone forgot to watch the gas gauge. Condition trumps age any day. As for new and old technology some of that is slightly true but a lot of it is hogwash. Before my Searay I had a 1960 Lonestar fiberglass in good shape as it was kept in good shape. New technology will delaminate with neglect as will old, but old or new taken care of will last.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

As mentioned earlier...............parts availability would be my deciding factor.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As mentioned earlier...............parts availability would be my deciding factor.

IF I were looking for a 21-24' bowrider for around $15k here's what I'd consider. First, I'd narrow size down more as that range goes from the bigger end of new boater comfort (21') to a pretty big BR (24'). let's say 21-22', plenty big for little kids and friends. FIRST, I'd find one with deep seating, some newer especially have bows I'd never put my little kids in and kids much prefer the bow by age 7. Next, I'd look in the 7-10 year old range at better brands like Cobalt, Chap, Bryant, maybe Regal and several others. This is because no matter how well kept a cheap brand, the seating/cushions are lesser quality material and are well on their way to worn out in 10+ years. Now, mind you this is just if I had $15K to spend as I could overlook that if I needed to to get a good boat for cheaper.

You now need the proper power package for the size/weight of the boat. Too much to go over and specific to each you consider. A 5.7L with Fuel injection will cover up to the 22' anyhow. Again, with $15k I'd want fuel injected not carb, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Mercruiser or Volvo/Penta wih proper outdrive for the engine.

Overall, you want a boat in great condition bought from a proud owner! No reason to settle at all on this one, just keep looking until you find one that was babied! Pay $1-2K more for the babied boat and you'll be very glad in the long run. Have the boat, engine especially, looked at by a mechanic of YOUR selection and make sure it's A-OK.

$15k is a great number to work with for what you want but you may have to look around a while to find just the right boat. Good luck.

Last edited: