Shark found in lake in North Alabama

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
I was out fishing this morning on our local river (the Coosa) when my cousin told me about the shark that was found in Lake Guntersville here in North Alabama. I have never fished up at Guntersville lake (it's about an hour away) and after this news I don't think I ever will no matter what they say :eek:. My cousin goes up there with his father allot, camps out and fishes the lake. I also recall somebody catching an 9 or 10ft Alligator Gar up in Guntersville also.

This goes to show you that you never know what people are putting in these lakes or what is making their way into our local lakes.

http://www.nbc13.com/vtm/news/local...tersville_apparently_never_lived_there/29658/

D

DJ

Re: Shark found in lake in North Alabama

Great! :rolleyes:

I'll be flopping around in Logan-Martin, this weekend.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

My question would be "How does a salt water fish survive in fresh water?????"

heycods

Captain

AAparently he didnt , by what was reported.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Sea trout,striped bass and salmon can live in both fresh and salt water.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

DOH!!!!! I should have read the article.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Great! :rolleyes:

I'll be flopping around in Logan-Martin, this weekend.

Oh no worries about sharks down there that I know of at least, but there were some alligators that got loose down there a few years back, I guess they recovered all of them no joke.

Not to jump off my own topic but it is to bad I don't have the money, I could use your expertise on a mercruiser in one of my boats :redface:, you must be down on vacation. I have an uncle that owns an upholstry shop down on Logan Martin.

I honestly don't know how long a "shark" or any other salt water fish could live in fresh water. You all may recall the true story of the sharks making there way into a pond off of a river that killed a pedestrian or 2. I heard of 2 different stories of sharks making there way up rivers etc etc. :redface: Sorry Rolmops I didn't see your post in time when I typing this.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I was out fishing this morning on our local river (the Coosa) when my cousin told me about the shark that was found in Lake Guntersville here in North Alabama. I have never fished up at Guntersville lake (it's about an hour away) and after this news I don't think I ever will no matter what they say :eek:. My cousin goes up there with his father allot, camps out and fishes the lake. I also recall somebody catching an 9 or 10ft Alligator Gar up in Guntersville also.

This goes to show you that you never know what people are putting in these lakes or what is making their way into our local lakes.

http://www.nbc13.com/vtm/news/local...tersville_apparently_never_lived_there/29658/

Gadsden Eh, I was there last week at our stamping plant there. Stayed in Rainbow City. Been down there twice in the last 6 weeks and will be there again soon (approx 4 weeks) I sure miss my boat when I am there though. All that water and my boat 800 miles away !!!! Visit quite regularly these days when I am not in Japan or Korea.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Gadsden Eh, I was there last week at our stamping plant there. Stayed in Rainbow City. Been down there twice in the last 6 weeks and will be there again soon (approx 4 weeks) I sure miss my boat when I am there though. All that water and my boat 800 miles away !!!! Visit quite regularly these days when I am not in Japan or Korea.

Well holler at me the next time you are down, maybe we can break out my old clunker, I mean bass boat and we can do some bass fishing.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Bull sharks can survive for quite some time in fresh water.

c&p from wiki:

The shark has been reported 4,000 km (2,220 mi) up the Amazon River at Iquitos in Peru,[6] and has been found as far up the Mississippi River as Illinois and Missouri.

Jet skiers better watch their toes!:eek::D

gonefishie

Commander

Only one hour away from Guntersville and you have never fished there? When the rat/frog bite is on, I don't think I would care even if Jaws is swimming around in there.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I guess that I should not tell my kids this because when we go swimming in the river just north of Baltimore they would freak out.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Nope I've never been fishing there, my brother has been fishing up there before for shell cracker/brim in the little tournaments they have at times. He has invited me to go but I don't think he even made it the last time they had the tournament and I didn't have the time or money to go.

No I wouldn't tell the kids nothing about sharks, alligators, alligator gar, or snakes if you want them to have a good time boating and swimming in the river or lake. My nieces over heard me talking about alligators and they were scared to go into Weiss Lake when if there is alligators in there its not many maybe 1 or 2.

My oldest niece was standing in the water, we were standing right there near the boat ramp where she was in the water and the next thing we know she was freaking out because of a snake. My brother didn't want to believe her until we seen the darn thing swimming ourselves. It wasn't very far from her at all, we almost had one of them walk on water moments :D, she got out as fast as she could.