1999 Xr6

bp9696

Recruit
Need Help With A 1999 Xr6 150 With A New 200 Head On It. The Boat Boggs Down When Hotfoot Is Press All The Way Down. The Boat Sounds Like It Is Choking Out For About 100-150 Ft Then Will Take Off On. Runs Great On Top End And Idles Fine. Motor Has On 12 Hr On It And I Thought It Was The Double Oil Causing This. Not Sure What The Low Timing Or High Time Should Be? Or Is This Another Problem. Rebuilt Carbs, New Trigger, And New Power Pack.
Any Suggestions? Thanks Barry

bp9696

Recruit
Re: 1999 Xr6

Not sure on the carbs. This is all new to me, only had the boat for 2mths and this work was done before then. I know that the carbs are the original parts from the 150. I tried to look up the serial number from the power head to make sure it was a 200, but have not found it. Tried to call PMC but the phone number on the head was not good. The serial # 24224 from PMC. The company that replaced the head did a poor job and I have found many mistakes and different parts other than the originals.

j_martin

Admiral

Timing and jetting for a decent tune with a mixed bag of parts can get to be quite a chore. It takes a lot of experimenting, and unfortunately, the parts ain't free.

There's a guy on Screamandfly.com that has found more ways to wind a merc motor off the end than anyone can count. I think he gets a kick out of sacking a big block with a 2.0 litre black clamp on turning ten grand. Maybe he has messed with what you got. His handle is T-Rex.

Right off the bat, though, you need to figure out what WHx, or WMHx, or whatever carbs you have. They're all different, even though they look the same.

hope it helps
Johnb

bp9696

Recruit

John,
Thanks for all the help. I will find out what carbs and check with T-Rex. This has been eye opener for me. Never had a company say that they did something and find out that they did not do it or put a wrong part on instead.
Again thanks for the help, I will follow up.
Barry