Dead Trim Switch

STEVEW3765

Recruit
Hello fellow mariners! I have a 1989 regal ambassador 233xl with a 5.7 mercruiser i/o.( don't know the model of lower unit. it is the one that came with the engine when it was new.) last weekend the trim switch located on the throttle works. This weekend it is a "dead" switch. No humming or anything. Is this a fuse and if so, where are those located so I can replace. If some other culprit, I would love to know that as well. thanks!

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Dead Trim Switch

Does the trailer switch work?If i does it probably is a broken wire on the trim limit switch on the gimble housing. An it is probably an Alpha 1 drive. Dont just "fix" the wire. Replace the limit switch. I beleive it comes as a kit with the limit switch and the sender for the guage. I cant remember which one is on what side. I have heard of guys repairing the wiring because it is a pain in the a** to do. Someone may chime in on a way to repair the wire that will last. You can swivel outdrive and look for the broken wire most of the time with out removin drive. But drive will have to be reoved to replace switch.

STEVEW3765

Recruit

if gimble housing is same as the throttle housing. I took it off and there is no broken wires. Is there not a fuse? you know something simple!!:D

gentner8

Seaman Apprentice

The gimbal housing is on the outdrive on the outside of the boat. Right where the drive pivots, there are 2 round switches that have grease fittings (on mine anyway) The above poster is refering to the wiring at the switches themselves, and not the throttle lever.