Drive noise when turning.

Uraijit

Banned
I replaced the gimbal bearing after installing the engine, before I took it out on the water.

Had a clacking noise when turning, so I went ahead and replaced the U-Joints. I'm still getting a clacking noise when turning. Sounds for all the world like U-Joints, but they're brand-new. There's no water in the bellows, the joints were greased before use. The noise was there before I replaced the joints, and I didn't go away after replacement.

Did I screw up the joints when I replaced them? That's the only thing I can figure...

I slightly bent the yoke on the input shaft when pressing the joints back in, but I got it straightened back out. The shaft was not bent, so the joints should make up for any bend in the yoke that might still be there.

The engine is aligned PERFECTLY. Slides in and out with 1 finger and 1 thumb. Marks in grease are even all the way around the alignment tool.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: Drive noise when turning.

1) Did I screw up the joints when I replaced them
? That's the only thing I can figure...

2) I slightly bent the yoke on the input shaft when pressing the joints back in, but I got it straightened back out.
1 it's possible...............there's only one way to find out................................2) Thats where I'd be looking...........:(

Uraijit

Banned
Re: Drive noise when turning.

It just seems like the U-Joints should be making up for any bend in the yoke. Like I said, the shaft is still straight.

It's also strange that the problem was there before, AND after the replacement and resulting bendage, with no change in how it sounds, or where it happens...

Guess you're right though, only one way to find out about the U-Joints. Luckily the joints have a lifetime warranty...