1992 Force 90 Tilt/Trim

E. E.

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have this motor on my pontoon. Since I got the boat, the tilt would lowly leak down. It would not hold any upward position when under load from running. I could live with this but now the tilt is not working at all. When tilting, I could always hear the tilt motor running when the outboard was running but it cannot be heard now at all when running. I can hear the tilt motor faintly running when nothing else is running but there is no tilt movement. Are there any suggestions on things to check?

Thanks

RRitt

Captain
Re: 1992 Force 90 Tilt/Trim

System bleed down is almost always due to pump. From your description yours deteriorated over time rather than suddenly breaking. So it is even more likely the pump.

My first suggestion would be to rebuild or swap out your entire pump assembly including both motor and valve body. It will cost you somewhere between $150-$500 depending on whether you rebuild, exchange, or buynew. If you haven't replaced the relays already then it might not be a bad time to swap out this known failure point too. I have heard repeatedly that the exact same relays are used for automobile headlights and cost only $5-$10 each. Iboats and Ebay are always two great places to look for parts.