89 rude top two carbs working now

bdf2662

Cadet
continuing from 7/24/08, 89 60hp evinrude replaced vro, now have cleaned & rebuilt carb's due to engine not idling below 1400 rpm's & stalls when put into gear. Also checked compression as advised 120 psi in all three, engine runs the same after carb o'hal but seem's like top two carbs are not getting enough fuel. I was checking spark while engine running & all 3 cyl have great spark but engine was not phased when i took plug wie off #1 (top cyl), put it back on & pulled #2 (MIDDLE) no change, engine still running the same. Pulled#3 engine died instanly! CCCCompression 120 psi all 3 cyl, strong spark all 3 cyl... seem's to be running off the bottom cylinder by itself, (crazy) what next?

Last edited:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 89 rude top two carbs

Link and synch could be slightly off

Start reviewing the manual and verify your adjustments

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The sync-n-link could be off and that would explain the high idle but not as to why it's only running on the bottom cylinder. As you're going thru the process put #3 carb on the top or middle and see if the running cylider follows the carb or stays at #3.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did a lot of the stuff you did and my motor "88" 60 rude was running like you said yours is doing mine ended up being power pack hope that helps

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If it does indeed have "great spark" as indicated, and there was no mention of backfiring or popping in the exhaust, then the entire ignition should be fine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree. did you do this to the carbs? it is obviously not getting fuel to the 2 cylinders. did you put the carbs back in their original positions?

bdf2662

Cadet

there was popping thru the top carb at first, all high speed adjuster's set at 1 1/2 turns open & it wouldn't stay running, played with adjustments a little, turned bottom adj either way & engine did not start. Put it back to 1 1/2, played with middle carb, adjusted a little up then down... no effect at all.
Turned top carb ajuster in 1/2 turn, will start & run smooth @ 1400 rpm & above but wont idle below that so it dies when shifted into gear. If I back top carb adjuster out any (from it set at 1 full turn open) it pop's, If I cover the cab with my fingers it picks up rpm, same goes for middle carb, but if I do that to the bottom carb (the only one that seems to be working right) it will flood & stall, that's why I feel fuel is being starved/restricted to the top 2 carb's. Going to try new fuel tank line today, thinking maybe existing fuel line check valve may be bad (primer bulb doesn't seem to stay firm enough), if that doesn't work I'll go over the fuel lines again to check for restriction or vacuume leaks. I was also told could have carbon build up in exhaust and that could be a possibility before replacing the vro pump it fogged the lake (15 minutes ride) all the way home.
Sorry so long winded but have a lot of time after working all day into this & would love to get it running, so thats as many detail's as I can think of...
...& I appreciate all of your input!

bdf2662

Cadet

back at it this afternoon, put a new fuel supply hose from tank to engine, new primer bulb seem's about the same as old one. Decided to pull the top 2 carb's & take them back apart & wash/bath them in mineral spirit's & squirt carb cleaner thru all the orifices, but first as I took the top carb's fuel line off, I thought I'd crank the motor with the line pointed into a glass jar... & lo and behold fuel came squirting out of the upper line, it's got to be something in the carbs....

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What "high speed adjusters" are you refering to?

washind

Cadet

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be my poor carb cleaning job. One of the orifices in the lower part of the carb(s) was literally constricted with varnish (stale fuel). I eventually picked at them with small welding tip cleaners and a very good carb cleaning fluid and it solved the problem.

bdf2662

Cadet
Re: 89 rude top two carbs seem to be working now

took carbs off for a second cleaning, ran wire thru orifice's top & bottom sprayed carb cleaner made sure floats were set right all seems good. Put back on motor idles lower now but still stall's when put into gear.....
Looking to the manual to follow instructions for link & sync & not to far from start of directions it says to use timing light while idling in forward gear, this is a problem since the engine stalls when put into gear. I believe I'm close its idling at about 1000rpm in nuetral since the second cleaning of carbs, put in new fuel filter snugged up a few loose clamps on fuel lines but still dies when put into gear, any advise on the link & sync would help.
p.s. Tashadaddy the fuel adjustment screw on the top left side of the carb is what we've adjusted, started them all at 1 1/2 turn's out from closed finger tight and only had to turn top carbs screw in a little to keep it from popping, hope this answer your question I was told its the high speed adjuster.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

those screws were factory set, they say not to change them, need to be reset, will see if i can find directions.

bdf2662

Cadet

that would be great, thanks. does anyone have any advise on doing the link & sync as its supposed to be done at idle in gear but this motor dies when put into gear, I'm perplexed.