Help! Is the prop suppose to spin when starting in neutral?

diyhunt

Cadet
I have a 1985 3.5hp mercury that will not start. I place it firmly in neutral and when I pull the prop spins and churns a lot water. Is this right? It sounds like it would start if the prop wasn't spinning. Any ideas? Thanks.

Tim

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help! Is the prop suppose to spin when starting in neutral?

Sounds like the motor is "not" in neutral. Check to see if it is in neutral by trying to turn the prop by hand. You can take out plug and check to see if the piston moving.

diyhunt

Cadet

That makes sense, I'll give that a try. What should I do if the motor won't go into neutral? Thanks.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

I am not personally familar with your motor, but if it doesn't go into neutral, I'd suspect its an adjustment issue. I am assuming, the lower end wasn't worked on, and the motor didn't hit a rock etc while running.

diyhunt

Cadet

No, no damage or work to the lower end. What would I need to adjust if it indeed won't go into neutral? Thanks for the tips.

lots of boats

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi

You may have to adjust the linkage, but first, with the key off and the safety button pulled put the motor in forward and then turn the prop by hand. Probably, depending on the motor, the prop can be turned with a clicking sound as the forward gear ratchets over the clutch dog. This gives you a reference point. Then shift into neutral. If you can shift and ratchet the prop in forward at the same time you can feel the clutch dog shift, if it doesn't shift, even if you move, or wiggle the shift control towards reverse a bit to make sure it is centered, then adjust the linkage where the shift cable hooks up on the side of the motor under the cowling. Don't adjust the linkage until you are sure you can't shift out of forward.

To adjust the linkage there will be some kind of keeper to remove to free the rod end of the shift cable from a pin that is part of the shift arm. Free the cable and loosen the lock nut on the cable rod and turn the cable to the right place, tighten the lock nut, put the cable back on and refasten the keeper. To get the right adjustment you shift the motor while the shift cable is off by pushing the linkage by hand until it feels centered and can move back and forth slightly in neutral. When you put the shift cable back on the pin it should go on without pushing the shift linkage from the slack feeling neutral position.

diyhunt

Cadet

Okay,
This motor is definitely not going into neutral. I turn the selector every which way and the prop is constantly engaged.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks.

Tim

tredragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

did you adjust the shift cable linkage as described above? It's one of two things, cable linkage, or the shift shaft in the lower unit.

Personally I would tackle the lower unit first, but that's just me. here's how:

Put controls in neutral, drop lower unit, turn shift shaft (small splined shaft that comes out with lower unit when you drop it) a turn, check that prop spins freely in both directions. if not, another click, then spin prop.. .might have to try clockwise as well as counter clockwise depending on which way you misaligned it. once the prop spins freely in both directions, give it a click clockwise and make sure the prop will ONLY spin forward. If this is the case, click it back into neutral and carefully re-assemble. Before tightening everything completely, test controls and prop spin direction (motor off, by hand) to make sure you're still aligned properly.

If you get things put back together and the prop spins both directions with controls in neutral, but forward, reverse are not quite on with the 'click' of the controls... adjust the cable as described above where the linkage on motor is in the "sweet spot" / middle of neutral, controls are in neutral, and adjust nut on cable to where you can reattach cable without moving the shift linkage at all.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Great suggestions posted above. I had a similar problem on my '65 Mercury 50HP and it was in fact the cable linkage. A few posts above mentioned it by simply following the shift cables into the motor to the linkage. Should be fairly straight forward to do the adjustment. The only difference with mine was it wouldn't come out of neutral properly but I made the adjustments quickly while on the lake in a few minutes

Good luck