SOS on rebuilt 1984 Johnson 140

bushgator

Cadet
Help is needed here bad, Just got back my Johnson 140 from a barter Job in Orlando and Put it in the lake this past weekend and had a hell of a time starting it once I did get it started I know it will smoke and sputter because of the higher oil 25-1 ratio I was told to use , I went to throttle down and it would only go maybe if we were lucky 5-10 miles an hour!!!
This guy took 4 weeks to rebuild this and he is suppose to be a master tech.... did not replace the old plug wires or did he put in new plugs... there is a heat sensor poked in side where it goes on the left cover ..no wire connected to it at all.
Not only does he keep telling me this is normal cause it is a older engine, but wont return my phone calls until 1-3 days later . He had told me that sounded like the carb problems and it was about the fuel getting to the engine .
I have caught this guy lying to me a few times already , I just don't know what to believe. I painted this guys house in Orlando ... a $2,800.00 Job for the return he rebuilds my powerhead. when someone rebuilds these motors, don't they take them to some water to run them to make sure things are a 100%? When I gave him the engine I was having troubles starting it and when it got running I was at least at 45- 50 full throttle!
My question is (thanks for your patience) what do I need to look for to see if he really did rebuild my top? I have not checked the compression yet should that be the same number on all 4 cylinders? He said the people had to put a sleeve in one , that he did not weld the nick that was right on the rim.... can I take the heads off and still use the same gaskets to put back on after inspecting ? and will I be able to see the new called sleeve? To know this guy told me to take the boat out but stay near the dock and get to know the boat, I even bought and installed all new gas lines , fuel separator, fill hose, and took and drained the tank out and dried it for 5 days before putting all the new hoses on and the fill hose, so NOTHING at all is coming from the tank but pure 25-1 fuel (quicksilver oil) mix. My wife and kids were stuck out on lake Tarpon both days this past weekend, cause Saturday when the only time he returned the call he said to put new plugs in and that would be the answer still NO THROTTLE ! You Experts please help. Thank You

BushGator

Last edited:

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: SOS on rebuilt 1984 Johnson 140

Not good news. The motor should run fine on 25:1. It will (may) smoke a bit more but it'll run just fine. If he didn't bother to put in new plugs I hate to think about what else he didn't (or did) do. The 84 140 is old, yet very reliable technology. Personally i doubt if he did anything.

iwombat

Captain

Back to basics here, start with compression and spark checks and work outward from there.

Maybe you can detail what exactly was done. Did you pull and reinstall the powerhead or did he do the whole thing?

bushgator

Cadet

No I did not , He did everything from start to finish, but just was supprised for him to not take and put the boat in the water and check, in the bucket is a whole different check than the Lake itself.
I did however take the screen out of the gas tank valve just incase it was dragging the flow down but have not checked it yet . It was not a one way valve which I was supprised to find it was a screen lol.
I did however put in a new fuel seperator could that have a drag on the fuel once I have the throttle all the way open?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

My thoughts are with Dhadley! I wonder if the man could put a handle on a S##t house door, and get it straight?

iwombat

Captain

You ever try finding a straight line on a s**t house door to reference the handle installation?

Seriously, I think you should just treat this like any sick outboard and work from the basics up.

Spark and compression. If those are fine, move on to carbs.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

iwombat: Plumb should be just fine, unless using a corn cob.

iwombat

Captain

Sure. . . . assume the s**t house is plumb and level . . .

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I am with the others here. Start with a compression check and go from there. If compression is good move on to spark. 25 to 1 will not hurt it, it will just be a little smokey. Better more oil than not enough !!!!

bushgator

Cadet

I will do just that , Thanks for the advise and I will put it to use starting tomorow.