Don new question More problems but I hope this one is easy...idle?

macr6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay I almost have things squared away on my motor.

Again, I have a 1998 3.0L merc 4cyl.

I set my idle to 700rpms at home on muffs. I take the boat to the water put it in and it starts up fine. (Motor cold). I get it up to temp and do some runs up and down the lake. No more than 10 minutes. I take the boat back to the docks let it sit for about an hour. Get the family on the boat and she wont start.

This problem happened before and is why I had the rpms set so high before.

To get it to start I have to push in the "throttle only" button and slide the throttle forward a tad and while it starts to catch I have to feather it. Almost like an old style car.

When it finally catch I hear a screaching sound that lasts for about 5 seconds. (This is the first time it has done this it may be the belt. I remember that sound from a belt in my old car.)

The problem is that I can't get it to start and idle on its on. I can get it to start by manipulating the throttle. Once it is started I have to go to throttle up almost immediately and when I do the boat runs fine.

I guess my question is: is there a procedure to get the idle set right in the manual?

Is there a link to the manual on the site still?

My educated guess is that when I set the idle screw to get 700rpms( the one attached to the throttle lever) I am actually choking the motor of air. Is this right or do I have bigger problems?

Deanrw3

Seaman
Re: More problems but I hope this one is easy...idle?

To get it to start I have to push in the "throttle only" button and slide the throttle forward a tad and while it starts to catch I have to feather it. Almost like an old style car.

When it finally catch I hear a screaching sound that lasts for about 5 seconds. (This is the first time it has done this it may be the belt. I remember that sound from a belt in my old car.)

The problem is that I can't get it to start and idle on its on. I can get it to start by manipulating the throttle. Once it is started I have to go to throttle up almost immediately and when I do the boat runs fine.

This is really the only way to start the boat, IMO. I have to do this everytime too to get it started. This is why they put the throttle only button there....

You must remember that this is not a fuel injected motor. It is carbed. You need to use the throttle to start it when its cold or has not been running for a while.

Also, check your manual but i think to set the idle the boat should be in forward gear at idle speed and then you can adjust it to the right rpm.

GL

Dean

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After an hour, the electric choke will be closed, but the engine is still warm. So if you leave it at idle, with the choke closed, you will flood the engine. When it starts, you may have to give it some throttle to keep it from flooding till the choke opens again. This is a real problem when the choke is adjusted by the book, because it closes the choke too tight for 90% of the boats out there. Great for cold weather, but not warm weather boating.
On a cold engine (after setting all night.) Use the throttle only possition and open the throttle to about 1/4 throttle.
Remove the flame arrestor, loosen the 3 screws on the choke coil and turn it till the choke stays open by itself. You may have to push the choke open with your finger.
Next, slowly turn the choke coil till the choke plate JUST closes or almost closes, then tighten the 3 screws.
Now try it out on the water and after an hour.

macr6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After an hour, the electric choke will be closed, but the engine is still warm. So if you leave it at idle, with the choke closed, you will flood the engine. When it starts, you may have to give it some throttle to keep it from flooding till the choke opens again. This is a real problem when the choke is adjusted by the book, because it closes the choke too tight for 90% of the boats out there. Great for cold weather, but not warm weather boating.
On a cold engine (after setting all night.) Use the throttle only possition and open the throttle to about 1/4 throttle.
Remove the flame arrestor, loosen the 3 screws on the choke coil and turn it till the choke stays open by itself. You may have to push the choke open with your finger.
Next, slowly turn the choke coil till the choke plate JUST closes or almost closes, then tighten the 3 screws.
Now try it out on the water and after an hour.

UPDATED

Don, When I am out running it about and the engine is hot and I kill it and try to restart it it wont start. I pull the arrestor and the choke plate looks wide open. The boat wont start till I do the throttle lever thing. Is the choke still the problem at that point? It's like I am starving the engine of air but from the butterfly's or the choke plate, but if the choke plate is open then would iti be the butterflys or something else?