1974 silver starflite 135

nagasama75

Recruit
hello all.
i have a 74 SS 135hp that i am having problems with this year. i have owned the motor for five years, and have never had any problems with it.
i fog it every winter, decarb, gear lube change, and spark plug change every summer.
this year when i went to decarb, everything was fine. i decarbed, and replaced the spark plugs.
took it to the lake, and it would not run worth a flip. it would idle, barely....and chug while it was doing that, seemed like it had a serious miss at idle speed, and would die any time i gave it any throttle above idle speed.
so, my first (semi-educated) guess...fuel.
i pumped the tank (below deck), inspected the fuel (fine), inspected lines and fittings, changed the filter and took the carbs off. the carbs look like they were re-built yesterday. they had no build up, and the needles and floats were in perfect condition and no obstructions in the jets. so i cleaned them anyway :) and remounted them.
i then fired the motor up again and it sounded BAD...like a sputtering, racing and then dropping off of rpms and backfiring, eventually it would die. so, i do some research and decide its the power pack (its the only electrical part i have never replaced). no dice. so, i start really looking, and notice that two of the coils have itty bitty cracks in the tops of them. so i replace them. so now, engine runs GREAT on the hose.
take it to the lake, fires right up. runs at a good low idle speed, then dies after about 3 minutes (before i unhooked from trailer...learned that last time swimming it in lol). so, i figure, it isnt warmed up. i could never get it to fire up after that. it cranked with what seemed to me adequate speed, but never started. i took it out of the water and started it out of the water (very quickly and shut it off). i went back to ramp and put in and it had not enough juice to turn over. i switched the battery (i carry a spare) and it turned the motor over and over four or five times (fopr about 5-10 second stretches) and then that battery was too dead to turn it over (ha ha i forgot to charge my spare).
my question is, could a low battery keep the engine from firing? i know it needs several hundred rpms to start, and it seemed it was getting them to me. could that be why it started out of the water but would only turn over in the water ( i know it has something to do with backpressure through the exhaust, maybe)...
what else could be happening here?

any advice is welcomed, i am going to charge the batteries tonight and try again tomorrow.
thanks again!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1974 silver starflite 135

Gummy carbs often "look" good.

Go to the Engine FAQs and do "Outboard won't start".

Let us know what you find.