quality outboard repair man

weldbilt17

Seaman
I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem like this. My local outboard repair man ,the only one in the area,seems to have a problem with older motors. Every time that I have asked about a repair to be done he says that it's not worth the time or money. Now I know a 1976 evinrude 25hp and a 1965 merc 50hp are gettting up there in age but I don't think that there junk, the last time I checked outboards are pretty pricy. I guess this is his way of tring to sell a new motor,Who knows.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: quality outboard repair man

Poblem with 30-40 yr old motors is once you get in there to, say do a simple impeller job, things have a tendency to go to crap real fast, bolts snap off, corrosion is everywhere, and gaskets are petrefied. Then you do get it going and 1 week later the guy brings the motor back and says it seized up and expects you fix it, even though it nothing to with the impeller job other than it got the motor running again, I don't blame the guy a bit for not wanting to mess with motors that old. Your best to just fix it yourself or off it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they have enough business not to mess with them. that's why i learned. if you take it in, in the winter when he has nothing to do he may decide to make a buck.

CATransplant

Admiral

Fixing older outboards is a losing proposition for most shops. The price for the repairs is much the same as for a newer outboard. The problem is that it's a much higher percentage of the value of an older outboard.

Look at the 76 OMC 25hp, for example. Those seem to sell for around $6-800 around here. So, you take it in to the shop and the bill ends up being $300. That doesn't take much these day.

For example, if the throttle shaft on the carburetor is loose, the repair is a new carburetor. It's available, brand new, for $190. Add the labor, and there you are. Or, the clutch dog is bad. New clutch dog, plus even just the forward gear: $380.

All too often, the customer bails, or just doesn't ever show up to pick up the outboard, once they find out the bill.

So, smart shops try to discourage making those repairs. They've eaten enough of them already. The most they can do is to sell the repaired outboard the customer didn't pay for.

It's just bad business. That's why owners of older outboards come here to find out how to fix the things themselves. Then...it all makes sense.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are two goods shops that I have a lot of respect for in my area. Neither one of them will service any outboard more than 10 years old. There explanation is that too often they have had to have discussions with folks exactly as described above. The repairs cost more than the engine is worth. They will take the time and advise me on the work or help me find parts if I do it myself.

I was initially put off by this policy, but after working on several of my own "old" engines, I get it. As noted above, one task often discovers that others tasks are necessary once you start to disturb the old parts.

The old carburated engines are actually pretty simple to repair and most parts are readily available for the name brands. My rule of thumb is that any "old" engine that I don't have the skills or equipment to repair, is ready for retirement.

rndn

Commander

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem like this. My local outboard repair man ,the only one in the area,seems to have a problem with older motors. Every time that I have asked about a repair to be done he says that it's not worth the time or money. Now I know a 1976 evinrude 25hp and a 1965 merc 50hp are gettting up there in age but I don't think that there junk, the last time I checked outboards are pretty pricy. I guess this is his way of tring to sell a new motor,Who knows.

I don't know what state you're from, but if you're in New York, you can take them to Silver Lake Marine. They will repair any age motor for the customer. I am not assocaited in any way with Silver Lake Marine, I am just a very happy customer. They repaired/adjusted the shift linkage and replaced an impeller on my 1958 Evinrude 7.5 HP.