81 Evinrude 35HP Carburetor Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9roo

Recruit
Anyone know how to remove the carburetor from a 1981 Evinrude 35HP outboard motor?

I need to rebuild it and I cannot figure out how to get it off. There are 2 nuts on the carburetor and one of them is halfway covered up by the starter. The starter sets too close upon the carburetor to get a tool in there to remove the nut. I thought about remove the starter to get to it and I do not see any nuts or bolts to remove the starter.

Does anyone know how to get that nut off on the carburetor that sits just under the starter? Or how to remove the starter so that I can get to the nut? I do not want to take it to the shop as they want way to much to rebuild it. I want to do it myself but I cannot figure out how to get that one nut off. I'd appreciate any help.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 81 Evinrude 35HP Carburetor Help

The electric starter attaches to the starter bracket with two (2) vertical bolts that run the full length of the starter. DO NOT attempt to remove the starter by removing these two (2) bolts.

Remove the entire starter mounting bracket along with the electric starter as one unit. THis is the only way you'll obtain access to those carburetor nuts. Yes I know it's a pain in the ___ but this is the way it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.