How long before I see water at the telltale

Moody Blue

Captain
1971 Merc 800 80hp.

No thermostat on these engines. When running on muffs, how long before I should see water at the tell tale?

Fired up this new-to-me motor last week for the first time after doing alot of "refurbishing". Got it running very easy but had no water after about 30-40 seconds at the telltale.

In the process of installing whole new waterpump assy and curious to know when I start it back up what to expect.

The old pump looked fine to me even though I'm sure it was the factory original judging by the style of housing.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: How long before I see water at the telltale

30-40 seconds is a bit on the long-ish side. Should start pumping anywhere from 5-20 seconds at the most.

When running the motor on a flusher, be sure that after the motor starts you have enough water pressure to cause a bit of water to spray out of the "muffs".

This way you can be sure that the suction side of the pump is completely "flooded" and will be able to pump to the best of its ability.

If the pump's not being fed enough water, it may take a while to build up pressure and get water out the telltale.