Is this normal?

pmdsean

Cadet
I am looking at buying a boat with a Mercury 2001, 150HP Oil injected, carb outboard. When the seller started the engine while it was attached to the water hose, it did not have a pee stream coming out. After about a minute of running, the pee stream came out but was very hot to the touch. Is this normal? He said it was normal. If not normal, what would a estimate be to repair and what could be the problem.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Is this normal?

I am looking at buying a boat with a Mercury 2001, 150HP Oil injected, carb outboard. When the seller started the engine while it was attached to the water hose, it did not have a pee stream coming out. After about a minute of running, the pee stream came out but was very hot to the touch. Is this normal? He said it was normal. If not normal, what would a estimate be to repair and what could be the problem.

The thermostats have to open before anything at all comes out of the tell-tale.

Only use for a Murkery pee stream is to be sure yer warm enough to blast off from the landing without cold-seizing the engine.

hope it helps
John

pmdsean

Cadet

Thanks John,
I wasn't sure because I've never owned a Mercury before. My Yamaha always had a stream, cold or hot, and the water was alway luke warm.

j_martin

Admiral

The pee stream on the Merc should be at 140 degrees or so, which is quite uncomfortable but won't instantly burn you.

The water pump is an annual maintenance item if you want to keep the motor in good shape, unless you only run in pristine fresh water and never touch a weed or sand bar. When it's getting old, it may run a little warm and a little low on pressure.

Best item for watching it is an engine water pressure gauge.

hope it helps
John