boat purchase, need prop suggestions

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
I just purchased a 2000 four winns 170 Horizon with a 2000 90 HP Johnson V4 Looper. The boat currently has a 4 blade pirhanna propeller on it. I have yet to put it into the water but want to get a new prop for it before I do. First question, do I need to purchase a new thrust washer and prop nut, because I do not think the current propeller uses the stock hardware. Second, anybody having any experiance with this boat/motor setup can guide me to my new purchase. I will be using the boat mostly for skiing/tubing so holeshot is important. I am leaning toward an aluminum 3 blade Solas Rubex, need suggestion on pitch. Thanks in advance.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: boat purchase, need prop suggestions

You need to get a "baseline" using the existing prop, then you will get an indication of where to go with a new prop.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, I was thinking that but I am currently unable to find out what the pitch is on the current prop, and was possibly looking for someone who may have had the same setup.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Got the numbers straightened out from Pirahana, The prop is a 4 blade 14.5" dia with 14 pitch.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Baselined the boat yesterday, WOT the motor is turning 4800 rpm at around 28 MPH. Super hole shot, bad top end and bad ventalation problem. Again the current prop is a Pirhana 4 blade 14.5 Dia, 14 pitch. I would like to be around the WOT of 5500 and top speed around 35-40. I have never used a 4 blade before and would like to go back to a 3 blade. Any suggestions on a new purchase?

The boat also has a "whale fin" on the antivent plate, should this also be removed?