2000 KAW 1100 sti slight eng miss

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK.. this is for someone that knows these like the back of their hand. Mine sounds as if it has a misfire up to about 5 or 6k. The exhaust has a distinct pa...pa...pa...pa as we run it. It has the Fitch injection system. I ohmed the 3 coils and plug wires and they are all the same...so I fell all is ok there. I changed the plugs 2 times....no fix. Could there be an injector issue? It has 60 hrs on it and runs great otherwise Goes 54mph. I bought it a few weeks ago. I am an auto tech but welcome help with this FI system.
Thanks,
Scott

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2000 KAW 1100 sti slight eng miss

inspect the plug wire cores, they go bad on kawasaki ignitions.
remove the plug boots, and tug on the core wires see if they pull out, sometimes just trimming them back a tiny bit will help

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jeff,
Both ends of the plug wires??? I thought about that but they ohm checked ok. Could be intermittant though. Are they a fiber core? If I trim them back, is it easy to recrimp the metal end to? Thanks again for the tip
Scott

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

they are solid wire cores you can't check both ends and the caps just screw on the end, use silicon spray to make it easy to re-attach the plug boot.

homelite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the additional info. The jet ski is at our camp and I won't see it for a few days but I thought at a glance the plug wires were the same on each end. They snap on the coil on the top under the seat and of course on the plugs on the other end. Which end screws on? You lost me there. Feel free to call me if you think explaining would be better in person. 717-554-2171 cell

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

if you have the quick release on the coil end then yes check both ends the plug boot screws on,all the kawasaki coils I have seen , the coil end is epoxied in to the coil.

Water-Bahner

Recruit

I have been having the same problem with my 2000 STX 1100 D.I. that I picked up last week. Thanks to Jeff Walkowiak, I am going to try this trick. Hope it works