1979 35 hp Seahorse - hiccups sluggish throttle up

captmatt

Recruit
This motor drives me crazy, why do I continue to repair it! Started this season hiccupping and posted it for sale - - - while for sale, I adjusted the low speed needle, clean the carb with carb cleaner, adjusted the synchonization, and the OB was reborn (again). Ran great (in the driveway). I went out today, got it in the water, started it up, and right off the bat it backfired, got it started and the idle seemed way to slow and it stalled. Gave it gas and it ran ok. Slowly increased speed and did not respond too well to the throttle increase. It felt like it was going to go then backed off then started to go then caught up and the boat plained off...but never reached that nice sound of full throttle. I stopped, reversed my (fine tuned rich setting from the driveway tune up) 2 full turns back to 1...idled great, foward and back all good - never stalled and seemed to idle great. Then i decided to gas it - full throttle - ran great, reached high speed ran and ran and ran and then .... then full brakes, we slowed to a stop, then stalled. It did the same all day. Started right up after stall, or I reduced the throttle and it didnt stall. The story does not end there.....here's the kicker - i hooked it up to the hose to flush it when i got back to the driveway - - - guess what, right back to hiccups. continuous hiccups....what am i to do. Does anyone have any suggestions....I have a feeling the carb needs to be pulled off to rebuild....the carb is a rebuilt, two years old. Looks spanky new. If that's the case, where do i get a rebuild kit, gas hoses for todays "gas additive" gasoline that wrecks outboard fuel systems, and anyone want to do it for FREE for practice? I'm in NJ. Oh yea, and why one personality in the water and another in my driveway? Maybe i'll just pretend im fishing in my driveway. PLEASE HELP ME!!! Crabbing season is fast approaching.