~~ Chip, tuner, or NOTHING ~~

204 Escape

Ensign
I have a 2001 F-150, with a 5.4, and a 3:55 rear end.

Would a chip, a tuner, or anything improve mpg ??

I am to understand that a tuner could change/alter/help performance.

HOWEVER, I am not mechanically inclined, and am just wondering if it would pay for itself, or what.

When I pull our 3100# boat, traier, and engine, the mileage goes from 17-19, down to 8.9-9.5.

Thanx, for any information you might have.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: ~~ Chip, tuner, or NOTHING ~~

I used to work for Delco Elctronics and spent some time with the engineers at the GM proving grounds. i asked them what they thought about these tuners and they said that there is no way an aftermarket firm would know all the ins and outs of what went into programming the ECM on these engines. Tweaking one parameter may make some increase in power but may have a detrimental effect in another. For example, they examined some where the fuel mixture was increased. They told me that with the settings that this tuner would do, would cause the O2 sensors to fail early.

I wouldn't touch it.

I tow my 6500# boat with a Chevy Silverado 5.3L and 3.73 rear end. Last trip I got 13 MPG going 55 MPH. Keep the speed down and accelerate slowly and you will boost your MPG over anything a tuner mod would give you.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Do all your maintenance.... air filter, fuel filter, plugs..... keep it in top shape. There is no magic bullet, button, chip or switch. The magic is in the maintenance!

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your problem is the rear end, I specifically got the 3.73 for my Ford (same as the other posts GM vehicle). I notice very little to no difference in fuel mileage with my 2000# boat/trailer package. Also keeping accelleration and speed down makes a bit difference when towing. I imagine it would substantially different with almost 4000# of boat, but still...

ian

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I have a Hypertech power programmer for my 2003 Chevy 6.0L 3/4 ton. Has two tuning programs built into the unit, one to run on 87 octane, one to run on 91 octane. I chose the 87. I installed the program when the truck was nearly new (less than 5,000 miles)

In an effort to quantify whether it would actually help or not (I was suspicious of mfr's claims and was considering returning the $399 unit if it didn't work), I did some before/after tests with my 18 foot runabout in tow.

Pre installation, I got about 10.7 MPG while towing, and it would take about 19 seconds to go from zero to 60 from a standing start with foot to the floor.

After installtion, I got about 10.9 MPG while towing, and it now takes only 16.5 seconds to go from zero to 60 from standing start with foot to the floor.

Then just to satisfy myself I uninstalled the program and did my course again. 10.8 MPG and 19 seconds.

Reintalled. 10.9 MPG and 16.5 seconds.

Same roads, same test course, same weather, same load, same day.

I kept the unit. Over the long term now, I have seen little improvement in overall fuel mileage, but is hasn't gotten worse either. The power/accelleration improvement was quite stunning. Both when towing and when empty. With almost 60K miles on the truck now, almost exclusively towing boats and loaded snowmobile trailers, it has been totally trouble free. I took it in for warranty work one time when the fan clutch failed, and unprogrammed the computer prior to bringing it in to make sure I didn't have any warranty problems in case they hooked up their computers to check for codes. Then after getting the truck back, I reprogrammed again. My warranty is expired now, but I keep the programming unit in the truck just in case I need to do the same for emergency repair that might pop up on the road someday, or if I suddenly have a problem and want to go back to the stock ECU map.

I'm happy with it for the performance, but fuel mileage itself didn't really improve. Bear in mind the majority of these programs require you to use 91 octane or higher after installation...so even if you do get more MPG, the need for premium might wipe out any savings. Hypertech's was unique in having an 87 octane program, which is why I bought that particular one. Never tried any other brands to comment...and of course I'm Chevy and you're Ford so this may not carry over.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

all of those chips and junk are supposed to increase HP.... that's how they sell.
So if they do what they are suposed to do, they will also in turn drink more fuel.
HP cost gas$$$$$$$. There's no way around that.

Stick with what Bruce and Bob told ya.

Keep up with the maintenence.
Keep the foot off the accelerator pedal!!!!!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

So if they do what they are suposed to do, they will also in turn drink more fuel.
HP cost gas$$$$$$$. There's no way around that.

Not necessarily always true. One of the most common ways to easily tune a bit more power into an engine is to make a rich fuel mixture leaner. This is done by either reducing fuel input, or increasing air input. Leaner mixtures burn hotter and more violently, thus creating more power...without adding more fuel.

Things like 2 stroke snowmobiles and motorcycles that are carburated are often set notoriously rich from the factory. Pull the main fuel jets out, replace with smaller, and you'll see an increase in power with less fuel input in most cases...I've done it many times.

Now the stock fuel map on a modern injected 4 stroke car engine is FAR, FAR more efficient than a carburated 2 stroke. BUT it is not unheard of for them to have minor rich spots in certain throttle positions and loads. So if they can be isolated, and a reprogram can safely remove those rich spots in the curve (without going too lean and burning pistons), then it is possible to see very modest increases in HP while MAYBE improving MPG very, very slightly, or at least keeping it the same. That's what most of these chips do in fact...they actually very slightly REDUCE the amount of fuel an injector puts into a cylinder at a given RPM/load/throttle position where they've found a rich spot to massage out. As well as sometimes electronically moving ignition timing and transmission shift points and characteristics.

My test results are fairly clear. My chip gave me more power on my truck, and it does so without buring more fuel in everyday driving. Maybe I even got a subtle improvement, but 0.1 MPG improvement is statistically insignificant in my mind so I'm not claiming any help there. Now if I kept my foot to the floor and ALWAYS used the new higher peak HP the engine has? Then yes, it probably would burn more fuel than it did in stock form. But I very rarely drive with my foot on the floor and neither does anyone else. So I freely acknowledge that my chip is not really saving me any fuel. But it is definitel not costing me any extra fuel in the case of my particular truck, or for the many snowmobiles I've owned and retuned over the years.

I also totally agree that if increased MPG is your goal, buying one of these chips to improve fuel economy is not likely to help you reach it. They are indeed designed as power makers, not mileage improvers, despite some of their advertising.

The combo of keeping up with maintenance, keeping out of the gas pedal, and slowing down, will absolutely improve MPG much more than any aftermarket add-on will.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

I have an '02 F150 with 5.4 and 3.55 LS rear. 4X4 as well.

First I have no idea how you're getting 19 MPG empty unless you have 2wd.

I get 15.7 empty and when I pull my 26 foot camper I got 14.5. You should not be dropping off that much for fuel mileage. Are you pulling in OD? I usually leave mine in OD unless on hills where the tranny would do the hunt and peck. My camper goes 4600 empty, I don't load much more into it so probably 5K full up.
I would not mess with the chip/tuner etc. First you do realize if you chip it that means leaving the cover partially off the computer. People duct tape it in place. No thanks.

Lastly if you need info on the truck go to www.f150online.com if you have a question it can and will be answered there. Very helpful site for one fiddy's