1970-71 Johnson 60HP spark plug wire HELP

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I have a 1970-1971 Johnson 60HP. We have identified it from an earlier post that I posted on this forum. I now have a new problem. Mice had gotten underneath the cowl and chewed up a fair amount of the wiring. A user was gracious enough to email me a wiring diagram and I have rewired it accordingly. However, The coil wiring leading underneath the flywheel and 1 of the spark plug wires are chewed up and frayed. I have seen UNIVERSAL MARINE spark plug wires on the internet ( the factory ones are like $80 for 3 wires). I was thinking about going with the universals. My question(s) are....

(1) How do you get the spark plug wires off? They don't seem to "pop" off from under the flywheel. Do you have to take the flywheel off? Are they screwed on? I took the big nut of of the top of the flywheel but I didn't have the right sized wheel puller to pull it off to see.

(2) The coil wire is damaged close to where it goes underneath the flywheel (frayed), but the coil itself works. Is it possible for me to splice a universal wire into the coil wire so I do NOT have to buy a $100 coil. I am fairly proficient in soldering. I am guessing that these coil/spark plug wires are no different than modern ones. Having an insulated HOT wire and a braided ground that surrounds it. I am assuming if I cut both wires to show these and take a little time I could solder the hot wires.... re-insulate .. then make a solder ring around the 2 braids (essentially fusing them together)..re-insulate and then it should be good to go?

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I do NOT want to have to dismantle the engine any more than necessary.

Thanks in Advance,

Dominic.

Last edited:

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1970-71 Johnson 60HP spark plug wire HELP

So far I have looked on the internet and was unable to find any kind of online manual that answers my questions.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

All of the wires have screw terminals on the distributor cap ends. That means you have to unbolt and disconnect the coil and turn the whole thing to unscrew it from the cap. Same for the plug wires, unscrew them from the cap

The wires are standard 7mm copper core spark plug wires. They do not have a braided shield as far as I know. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to splice the coil wire as long as you keep the splice where it doesn't lie against a possible arc-through point.

The catch is that you need the threaded terminals and a suitable crimping tool. I believe Sierra Marine sells a wire kit which includes an assortment of terminals. Maybe that is the one you are thinking of? They sell Sierra Marine products here at iboats.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I do have to take off the flywheel to get to the distributor then? The coil is on the RIGHT side of the motor, so it is not underneath the flywheel, as far as I can see. But ALL of the plug wires (and the coil wire) disappear underneath there.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

another place to look for plug wire ends is your local auto parts store... and are you sure its the coil thats on the right side, the outboards i have seen have the coil under the flywheel, 1 for each plug. the wheel has a magnet in it, which the coils pick up and make spark with, like on a lawnmower. as for pulling the flywheel, i use a "Y" type, with 3 prongs on the y part, and use hard bolts that are long enough. weak or soft bolts just twist and break, been there etc... i picked up my puller at schucks for under $20, a general use puller, but any parts store will have one. amazing how much use one finds for it, steering wheels, flywheels, etc.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

another place to look for plug wire ends is your local auto parts store... and are you sure its the coil thats on the right side, the outboards i have seen have the coil under the flywheel, 1 for each plug. the wheel has a magnet in it, which the coils pick up and make spark with, like on a lawnmower. as for pulling the flywheel, i use a "Y" type, with 3 prongs on the y part, and use hard bolts that are long enough. weak or soft bolts just twist and break, been there etc... i picked up my puller at schucks for under $20, a general use puller, but any parts store will have one. amazing how much use one finds for it, steering wheels, flywheels, etc.

There are 4 wires that go underneath the flywheel.

3 are spark plug wires and one comes from a small box ( assuming it is the coil from what I have seen of pix of coils in outboards). The wire that is coming out of the little green box is the same diameter and make up as the spark plug wires. I was going to get a Y type puller (I have a 3 toothed one and it doesn't seem to do the trick.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I double checked with the wiring diagram and that little green box is the coil. It is located on the right side and the "blue" wire that is on the wire strip that is allocated for the coil goes to it. It also has a spark plug wire going underneath the flywheel ( which I assume is going to a distributor)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No, you don't have to pull the flywheel to change plug wires. If you look, you will see where they go into the black plastic thing, which is the distributor cap. Just hold them straight out and unscrew them from there.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

my motors must be ancient, i have had to pull the flywheel, and used a harmonic balance/pulley puller, but i have 3 threaded holes on top. as for wires, ask a parts counter who knows something without relying on a computer about plug wires by the foot. then you can cut and trim to better fit the aplication on what you need. it may be cheaper that way.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

F_R,

You sir, are a genius. Working like a charm ( the only bad part is one of the wires were so frayed that the crimped end stayed when the wire came out :( I am going to try to fish it out with needle nose pliers or maybe even a EZ-out. Sure saved time not having to take the flywheel off, though. Any suggestions for fishing that end out? :)

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going to try a 7mm coarse thread 3" bolt with Left handed threads to try and get that pesky Spark Plug end out of the Dist. cap.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EZ out didn't work..... a flat head screwdriver worked better...popped it in, wiggled it around and spun it out.

:)

Sierra Marine only has 9/10/12/22" wires... Sadly, I need 18" wires.. I am going to try to get 22" wires and figure out a way to re-route them.

Sierra 18-5229 Spiral Wound Spark Plug Wires 18-5229

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you know an auto mech, he may have the spark plug wire tip crimping tool... or you can look at some eletrical crimping pliers... then you can cut to the length you need or desire and crimp the end back on...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

(Replacing Screw In Type Plug Wires)
(J. Reeves)

It's next to impossible to find replacement spark plug wires for the older engines that have the brass screw in terminals which screw into a distributor cap. The solution to correcting a spark plug wire (or a coil wire in some cases) of this type is as follows:

Purchase however many brass screw in terminals as you may require (OMC Part #510364). Price is about $1.75ea. If you also need the spark plug boots and the spring terminals that connect to the spark plugs, purchase them also (OMC Part #581027). This includes one boot and one spring connector. Price is about $3.25ea.

Purchase whatever amount of spark plug wire you need. Be sure to purchase the kind that has a steel twisted wire leading through the center of it....... not the carbon type plug wire that many automobiles now use.

Have a piece of 2"x4" handy or any other piece of wood that will suffice, and if you have a vise, clamp that piece of wood in it. Punch or drill whatever amount of holes you want in the top portion of the wood...... you want a almost perfect size hole that you can easily screw one of the brass screw in terminals into. I normally use just one hole, reusing it as many times as necessary. The terminal should screw or push in easily so that removal is just as easily...... but you do want the terminal to be held securely.

Using your old plug wire, cut the new wire to a length about one inch longer. If you have no old plug wire, just make sure that the wire is longer than you'll need as you can trim the other end later. The end that the brass screw in terminal will go on... cut the insulation back about 1/4". With your finger, seperate the wire strands so that they are seperated and angled off at about a 45? angle when viewing the wire being held straight up. Tint those wires with electrical solder, then fold them down against the wires insulation, cutting the excess of so that the wire ends do not extend past the circumference of the wires insulation, meaning..... holding the wire dead on, those tinted wires form a circle.

NOTE: Electrical solder is 60% Tin and 40% lead with a Rosin Flux Core, available just about anywhere.

Before doing any solder work on the brass terminal, check to make sure that the wire you've just prepared will slide into the brass terminal withough being forced.

With a hand held propane torch with a pencil tip, heat the brass terminal just hot enough to fill it with "Electrical Solder". Do not use any other type solder. Do not overheat the terminal. When the solder is a liquid, filling the brass cup, having the prepared spark plug wire handy, insert the prepared wire end into the melted solder within the terminal..... and hold it there for a few seconds to have the connection secure. That should take care of the screw in brass terminal end. Use "Caution" as that melted solder could spit out somewhat as the wire is shoved into the brass terminal.

The above procedure also holds true for the engines that have "Battery Capacitance Discharge" ignition, which is a fancy name for a battery operated powerpack.... quite a few engines in the 1968 to 1972 range. That would be the type that has one coil whereas the coil wire screws into a distributor cap located under the flywheel.

The rubber boot, spark plug end.... With the wire cut to the length required, trim back 1/4" insulation again but do not solder tint the wires. Simply fan out the wires and fold them back against the insulation, cutting the excess off as explained above. Holding the spring wire terminal, estimate where the prong should be inserted so that the spring will be flush against the exposed wire. Hold the spring terminal away from the wires end (sideways) and insert the prong into the insulation and into the center wire, then swing the spring terminal in front of the exposed wire portion (makes a tight fit for continuity purposes).

Spraying the inner portion of the boot where the wire will insert with a small amount of WD40 makes the installation of the wire a easy project. That's it.... you're done.

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, that might be worth a try as well. Decisions, decisions.....

:)

SpitnSputter

Cadet

If it would help any i ping the flywheel carefully upwards around and around and it came off...1971 100 hp johnson 100esl71.....