Just bought a Carolina Skiff J16 & have a few questions...

wakerider017

Cadet
Hey guys! This is my first post here, but I will dive right in.

Just bought a J16, Large front deck & an aluminum trailer with a fold away tongue! I am very excited, but I have a lot of questions!

I will be powering it with a 25hp tiller motor (manual start). And right now I am strongly considering the new Evinrude etec 25hp outboard that is coming out in a few weeks.

Issue 1: The dealer where I bought the boat sells Yamahas and Evinrudes.. But they would not say one nice thing about the etecs. I thought it was funny, because everyone I talked to has loved that motor. They kept trying to convince me to buy a 25hp Yamaha 2-stroke. (They want $2800 for a 25hp Yamaha tiller/manual with no prop and I think the alternator is optional. Kind of pricey I thought. I got quoted $2750 for a brand new 25hp tiller/manual etec). Looking at specs alone, the etec has a lot more bells and whistles. What is your guys opinion on the matter?

Issue 2: Should I buy a 15" or 20" shaft? This boat will be used in west Florida in shallow flats.

Issue 3: This is a simple one. I need a seat in the rear of the boat to drive the tiller. Originally I just figured it would be a good idea to buy a bench seat and put that in the boat. Then I got thinking and figured it was dumb to waste all that extra space in the back with the battery, gas tank, etc. So I am considering buying a J Short Rear Deck (picture with dimensions below):

picture4jb0.png

If I get that deck I can also utilize that space for fishing, but is that deck large enough to sit on and steer the motor? I am just wondering if it is far enough out (28.5") from the rear to comfortably operate the tiller. This is my first tiller motor, so I am really not sure where or how you should be sitting when you are driving the boat.

Issue 4: I plan on doing some night fishing (Snook) so I will need lights up front. I might also put a trolling motor on the bow. How do you guys run wires to the front of the boat and conceal them? I don't want to put any holes in the floor or anything.

Issue 5: What biminis are you guys using? Is this something I should buy from the dealer or just online? I have never had a bimini on a my fishing boats before, but I would like something that can fold completely out of the way and not take up any space when not in use.

Well those are my questions so far... Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!!

-Nick

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Just bought a Carolina Skiff J16 & have a few questions...

i can comment on 3 things. the motor, i like etec. shaft has to be the correct length for the transom, so you have no choice. you have to match the transom. transom 15" short shaft, transom 20" long shaft.
bimini's are nice, but do not fold completely out of the way, it is going to lay on the deck, usually at the stern. they can also get in the way when landing that big one.
i have a separate battery in the bow of my boat. lights on the boat when running you only want your green/red bow light on, and white stern light. any other lights will destroy your night vision, and any on coming boats. you do not use head lights on a boat. you only use a spot light when running, to quickly spot a questionable item in the water.