2 prospective boat purchases

fordman410

Recruit
Hi I'm new to the forum and soon to be new to the boating world. I am an avid fisherman and am finally able to buy a bass boat. I've been searching on craigslist and have found two prospective boats. One is a 1989 Stratos 20ft. It doesn't say anything about what model and I have been in contact with the owner and forgot to ask him that. Comes with everything, (fish finder, trolling motor, storage, etc.). It also has a 150hp evinrude. The second boat is 1998 Procraft 16ft. with everything on it but has a 50hp Force engine. Both of these are the same price and in great condition so I was thinking the Procraft would be the better deal because it's newer but the Stratos is 2 feet longer which would be more stable in the water. If I could get some insight from the pros on here I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 prospective boat purchases

Regardless of the price, size, age, and power difference, the "Force" engine is a deal killer in my view.

fordman410

Recruit

thats what a buddy of mine said about it so the stratos is the way to go. thanks. that was a quick reply btw, haha.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

alamosaddles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One is a 1989 Stratos 20ft. It also has a 150hp evinrude. The second boat is 1998 Procraft 16ft. with everything on it but has a 50hp Force engine. but the Stratos is 2 feet longer which would be more stable in the water.

Fordman, I'm confused. You are comparing a 20ft Stratos vs a 16ft Procraft....Then you say the Procraft is 2ft longer? Did you loose the additional 2ft somewhere?

For the same price, if both motors are in similar condition, take the 150 evinrude...On a light bassboat, it will burn light on the fuel and give you a hell of a lot better oomph than the force will.

fordman410

Recruit

I guess I can see where you got confused but wow I just caught myself. The Stratos isn't 2 feet longer but 4 feet longer. haha wow. Thanks everybody for the reassurance to get the Stratos thats what I was initially going to get but that Procraft popped up so I figured I'd ask the guys that know their stuff.