Newbie Questions about my Boat

Derek B

Recruit
Well the time came and I finally got a 75 Glastron Runabout with a 145hp Volvo Engine for my 18 year old son and I to have for the rest of the summer.

A few questions if I may before I drop her into the lake for a hopefully nice afternoon of boating and skiing. Engine is a AQ 130 C/270 (4 cylinder)

1. The temperature sending unit monitors the Oil or the Water. I went to replace it and there seemed to be Water and Oil mixed. Any thoughts on this?

2. What should the standard oil pressure be? I ran it with my motor flush attachment attached and it was reading 80psi to 85psi, is this the normal on the pressure or what should I be looking for.

3. I briefly read some articles on water in the Oil.. It appears when I checked the oil it was somewhat cloudy and may have had some water in it. They owner before had it flushed and cleaned and I just wanted to know if its the symptom of a problem.

4. Blower runs wonderfully, but only blows out one tube, the boat has 4 tubes. 2 on the left, one blows out, does the other suck? and 2 hoses on the right, just hanging into the engine compartment.

5. And last is the bilge pump, should this be run during boating or when water appears in the engine compartment if it does. I am not sure it is working, I have not found the switch to engage it, but it maybe only when the engine is running.... I will look into it more..

Thanks all for now folks... any word would be appreciated.

Happy boating.

Derek

codertimt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Newbie Questions about my Boat

Well the time came and I finally got a 75 Glastron Runabout with a 145hp Volvo Engine for my 18 year old son and I to have for the rest of the summer.

A few questions if I may before I drop her into the lake for a hopefully nice afternoon of boating and skiing. Engine is a AQ 130 C/270 (4 cylinder)

1. The temperature sending unit monitors the Oil or the Water. I went to replace it and there seemed to be Water and Oil mixed. Any thoughts on this?

2. What should the standard oil pressure be? I ran it with my motor flush attachment attached and it was reading 80psi to 85psi, is this the normal on the pressure or what should I be looking for.

3. I briefly read some articles on water in the Oil.. It appears when I checked the oil it was somewhat cloudy and may have had some water in it. They owner before had it flushed and cleaned and I just wanted to know if its the symptom of a problem.

4. Blower runs wonderfully, but only blows out one tube, the boat has 4 tubes. 2 on the left, one blows out, does the other suck? and 2 hoses on the right, just hanging into the engine compartment.

5. And last is the bilge pump, should this be run during boating or when water appears in the engine compartment if it does. I am not sure it is working, I have not found the switch to engage it, but it maybe only when the engine is running.... I will look into it more..

Thanks all for now folks... any word would be appreciated.

Happy boating.

Derek

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have issues. I would repost in the I/O section and see if the experts there can help you out...

1-3. That's a high oil pressure reading, not sure if it could be affected by the water in the oil or if you have an issue with the sender. Water in the oil is obviously not a good thing. Again, see the I/O section...could be manifolds, risers, head gasket, etc..

5. Bilge pump is run if there's water in the bilge to pump out. Could be automatic(should be some sort of float switch) or operated by some toggle switch on the dash. Even if auto, should have some sort of override switch... Should be able to be powered on regardless of motor running or key position...