Vacation in La., Ms, Al, and Fl. Panhandle, Ky, or Tn

jayfarmlaw

Cadet
Family is on vacation driving from Oklahoma to Florida with no particular schedule. We will be in New Orleans today then on out I-10 to the Forida Pan handle. Orlando and all of the themes parks are probably out unless there is something in the pan handle. Our only destination is somewhere with a beach....then make our way back home through Ky. and TN.

No boat, just loaded up the suburban and headed East. Did not even know we were coming this way until we got to the first highway!!

Any local information about places with really good food (For me---Prejeans in Lafayette is AWESOME Cajun Food-I-49, Exit 2) or fun things to do with the family (for them) would be appreciated.

Kids are 16, 14, and 7.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Vacation in La., Ms, Al, and Fl. Panhandle, Ky, or Tn

Kennedy Space Center is a great and educational, destination. good beaches, then you can come north to daytona speedway, and tour. again great beaches. Panama City, Destin are beautiful beaches. on down US 19 Wikiwatchee Springs. then into Cypress Gardens, water ski show, gardens museum.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you are planning on spending the day in New Orleans, the French Quarter is always fun. You can go to Jackson Square to see what is going on for street entertainment but just don't fall for the "I'll bet I know where you got your shoes" scam! The Aquarium of the Americas is a little pricey but good. There is also an IMAX theatre in the building. Since that building is at the foot of Canal Street, you could walk up to the intersection of St. Charles Ave. and take a streetcar ride too.

There are lots of restaurants along Decatur St. My favorite "locals joint" is Coop's Place but I'm not sure you can go in with the kids because it is a single
room and it has video crack (poker) machines. If that proves to be the case, go across the street to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville.

Too bad that you didn't bring the boat - the Specs are hitting hard down in the marshes!

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are "beach people", you might consider Gulf Shores, Pensacola Beach, or Ft. Walton/Destin. Some of the whitest, softest beach sand anywhere. There are some great dining and recreation/amusement venues as well. Then slide over to Appalachicola for oysters before heading over to TD's domain around Jacksonville. You won't regret the trip.;):)