need new clutch dog

tfox123

Recruit
I have a 1960 johnson rds-22 motor on a 13 foot boston whaler boat. For the last two years it runs great!! But this year it started making a clunking sound. I checked the linkage which was ok, and then decided to take apart lower unit. The clutch dog was rounded over on the edges, and was wondering where to get new one? the brp catalogs only go back to 1968, will that year of parts be same as 1960? thanks!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need new clutch dog

no you need to see a dealer, and i doubt it is available. tcoutboard.com may have one, or a rebuilt lower unit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the difference is that the 1968 has the snap shift detent and balls. It would be wise to get the '68 dog and spring & balls and convert. The catch is that the prop shaft has to be drilled to accept them.

tfox123

Recruit

Thanks for the input. Could I buy a 1968 shaft instead of having it drilled? I really would like to get it running again, yesterday on the water forward was completly gone. The old outboard has been in our family since it was new, she hardly has many hours on it.

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

if you cant find what you are looking for try this guy...
they used to be discount marine but they are under a new name which I can't remember. they usually have a lot of parts around 304-269-6449 I have ordered parts for gamefisher and elgin outboards from them and they had the parts on stock.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the input. Could I buy a 1968 shaft instead of having it drilled? I really would like to get it running again, yesterday on the water forward was completly gone. The old outboard has been in our family since it was new, she hardly has many hours on it.

Yes, you could replace the shaft. I just drill my own, since I have a milling machine to do it on. Otherwise take yours to a machine shop. It requires a 1/4" hole through the center of the splined area. You are in for a surprise if you try to do it yourself. That stuff is very difficult to drill and you will be doing good if you get even half way through unless you know how to drill stainless steel.