'67 evin 6 fisherman prop piece (drive/shear pin)

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all.

Hit a rock today with my evinrude (woops). Prop itself is fine. However, something else broke, and I'll try to explain what it is.There's a pin inside the prop that connects to the lower unit. The lower unit turns, turns this pin, which turns the prop. I'm sure there's a formal name for this piece but I don't know what it is-- I hope that this is a good enough description.

The pin snapped. In order to get back to the landing (I was downstream on a river) we cut off a piece of metal from our fish stringer and stuck it in there. It worked to get us up to the landing but of course i do not want to continue using this makeshift part.

Any advice on where to get this part? It's a simple metal pin and i would imagine that it's not hard to get ahold of. However, I don't even know what it's called, so I'm having trouble knowing what to look for. :)

Scott

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: '67 evin 6 fisherman prop piece

It is called a drive pin. It is usually made of stainless steel and should be avialible at a marine dealer. I'm surprised it sheared. Your engine either uses a cushioned prop hub(I think by 67 this was the way) or a slip coupling on the driveshaft just below the water pump to protect the drivetrain.

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Surprising or not, I'm glad the pin broke instead of the prop ;). It looked like one end may have been previously broken. I just got this motor two weeks ago so I don't know its history.

I found this but it sounds way too generic: http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=165881F

Would they happen to have such a general pin that this will work?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The pin in your link is not "generic" it has a specific part number 307949. It is used as the propeller drive pin in a number of engines including the 1968 6 hp. It may well be the correct pin for you engine as well but you should confirm that it is correct

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I managed to upload a quick picture of the prop to my facebook account here:

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v275/57/67/59500546/n59500546_34971845_1386.jpg

You can see where the pin fits in the hub. This area is about 3.5 cm long. Note that the prop is marked '65' but judging by the serial # on my lower unit I would say that is a '67, although since they're together I would imagine that means they're cross-compatible if the markings do indeed mean it's a 1965 prop and a 1967 engine.

Sorry, no pictures of the pin yet, I mistakenly left it in my friend's tackle box.

I could take it to the local marina, but I'm sure if I could find this part online (like I found the one above which is not the proper one because it is 14cm in length) I could get it for much cheaper.

Jimmbo, in my research tonight I see there's a difference between a 'drive pin' and a 'shear pin', being that the shear pin is designed to break under these circumstances so the lower unit isn't compromised. Sounds like you already know that, of course. By the pics I've seen of the old evinrude drive pins and old evinrude shear pins it appears that the shear pin looks more like the size I'm looking for.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: '67 evin 6 fisherman prop piece (drive/shear pin)

It's not worth the bother of hunting throughout the internet for something costing only just over a dollar.

Whether it's the one for your engine or not 307949 is certainly not 14cm long. A pin that long would not fit in the places its used eg the hub of the 8" diameter propeller on a 6hp engine (think about it!)

The price of 307949 is only ?1.06 from shop.Evinrude.com That's less than the price you've found for it at Go2marine!

Suggest you try shop.evinrude.com for the correct pin for your engine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

307949 is the correct pin for your motor. It is made of stainless steel and is 3/16" x 1 3/8". Don't make me figure out what that is in metric. Besides, the motor was made in inches. And it is a DRIVE pin, not a shear pin, although it often is mistakenly called a shear pin. It is not intended to shear except under extreme circumstances. The rubber hub in the propeller takes care of normal bumps. And yes, before you question it, there is a rubber insert between the brass center hub and the prop itself. You can't see it but trust me, it is in there.

CATransplant

Admiral

When you buy one, buy two. They don't break often, but when they do, you need one then, not later.

If there is an Evinrude dealer in your area, they will have this pin. Just call and check, using the part number posted in earlier messages. It's very, very unlikely that one won't be available.

Buy two and store the spare on or in the engine or in your boat's tool kit.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

3/16" x 1 3/8". Don't make me figure out what that is in metric.
Approx 4.76mm x 34.92 mm.
Can never figure out why a nation so technologically advanced as the USA sticks so firmly with a system of units based on the size of an English monarch's feet. :D

Follow the British and the rest of the world and switch to a system based on some bit of Napoleon's anatomy ;)

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And yes, before you question it, there is a rubber insert between the brass center hub and the prop itself. You can't see it but trust me, it is in there.

Haha, I'm glad you put this bit in there because I was just about to reply and say it wasn't there.

My apologies for the error concerning the size of the drive pin. I was operating on a misinterpretation of the picture on this ebay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/John...73641QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V#ebayphotohosting

Unfortunately shop.evinrude.com doesn't appear to go past 1968. Looks like I picked a lucky year for my engine.

And yes, I will be picking up more than one. Although my McGyver fix to get me home was admittedly awesome, I do not want to have to do that again.

I've also found references to a part number PS17 on a couple websites, it's 3/16 x 1 25/64. I'm guessing it's the same thing...Thanks guys.

CATransplant

Admiral

Approx 4.76mm x 34.92 mm.
Can never figure out why a nation so technologically advanced as the USA sticks so firmly with a system of units based on the size of an English monarch's feet. :D

Follow the British and the rest of the world and switch to a system based on some bit of Napoleon's anatomy ;)

Well, there's a story behind that, you'll understand. It seems that George Washington had six fingers on each hand, so working with base 12 math was second nature to him. That is my story, and I'm sticking to it. :D

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

The 1st 6 in 1965 used the carryover lower unit from the 5.5 (shared with the 7.5 through '58). The 5.5 & 6 used the same prop 1954 - 1965.

Apparently they switched from the shock absorber on the drive shaft to the rubber bushed propeller for 1966, the 2nd year of the 6. They stayed with that through 1979, then an all new 7.5 was introduced for '80.

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I picked up a couple of the pins from the local marine shop and they work fine. Thanks for the help, everyone.

As an afterthought, I wonder if the pin broke because the hub is somehow messed up? The prop itself is quite old. If the prop went through alternating periods of use and non-use, I could see the rubber cracking and maybe causing it to bind up and not slip as it's supposed to. Does this happen? Or am I just making ideas up in my head?

Scott

CATransplant

Admiral

Don't worry about it. If it's running fine now, just enjoy it. When prop hubs slip, you'll know it. However, my advice is always to have a spare prop, in the boat, ready to use, if needed. Spare pin, too, of course.