poll ....all regular i boaters please check in !

poll ....all regular i boaters please check in !

• yes

Votes: 85 46.7%
  • no

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • make a boating licence as hard to get as a drivers licence

Votes: 52 28.6%
  • leave it alone

Votes: 52 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oops!

Supreme Mariner
hi guys.....

so far this season we have allmost lost a few people on our local lakes due to stupid boating......every time i go out, i see a few near misses.

im considering talking to my local member of the fedral government..(canadian) to hear his thoughts.

im thinking of writing a study on lake boating. and making new laws, (vountary, possibly inforcable at a later date). including speed limits, wake limits near shore and so on......

all your input is highly valued

cheers
oops

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: poll ....all regular i boaters please check in !

American here.

There are some safety "rules" that are enforced by various agencies (CG, Fish and wildlife, local pd, etc), but I would love there to be more courtesy-type rules that are known and followed by the majority of boaters. Licensing is probably over the top, however.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

American here.

but I would love there to be more courtesy-type rules that are known and followed by the majority of boaters. Licensing is probably over the top, however.

this is exactally my point campy....courtesy type rules....like no wakeboarding where a canoe is between the the skier and the boat !!!!!!:mad:

in canada we are required to have a boaters licence....however it is totally geared to ocean type navigable water ways. this test is so easy, a nine year old can get a licence in 15 minits.

these existing rules were made before the advent of pleasure boating, and water sports.
a basic set of laws, i think, would make the operator aware of repercussions of throwing a 3 foot wake ten feet from the dock.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That was a tough one just because I dislike the goverment knowing all of our different activitys we do, but having to get a licence might discourage the people that should not be in a boat to begin with:eek:

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

if there were more officers on the water to be able to just enforce the laws we have now it would be a big improvement. and people would remember to stop being stupid and just start using some common sence. that would make a big difference in boating saftey.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

While it may be possible to come up with a set of basic "lake boating rules" it would be very tough to come up with a "comprehensive" set of rules. Certain operation may be appropriate for a large lake for example, but may be very inappropriate for a small lake. A wide, round lake may have features that enable certain activities that a long narrow lake does not an vice versa. The lakes I frequent have speed limits and other rules posted at the ramps. Skiing for example on one lake is counter clockwise to avoid head-on or cross line incidents. The lake is also a good fishing lake so skiing and jet skis are limited to certain hours. I feel that what really needs to happen is that more boater education needs to be done. I cannot believe the number of people that buy boats and have no idea whether they have a two stroke, four stroke, where the oil goes, or even how to start the darned thing. We see poorly secured boats on trailers, people that cannot back a trailer, can't load or unload properly, have poorly maintained equipment and generally cause great angst at and around the ramps. We all seemed to learn the hard way but the water ways are more crowded now than they were years ago so it is more of an issue now. Equipment is far more complicated and powerful today so the chances of being involved in an incidnet are far greater.

CATransplant

Admiral

We regulate driving, and our safety on the roads depends on everyone knowing the rules of the road. I see no reason why we should not regulate boating in the same way and for the same reasons.

Many of the things we see on the water are due, primarily, to people simply not knowing or understanding the rules of the road. As it is now, in most places, a complete idiot can buy a boat and be on the water the next day. No training, no license, no nothing. That's stupid, especially on crowded waters.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

At $4 a gallon/$5 at the marina.......

Ain't to many stupid boater's out there anymore.......:D

Except for those rich individuals who got spoon fed with a gold spoon!:eek:

pwrplay

Seaman Apprentice

I am all for laws and/or rules, but the one thing that does work is education. The problem with laws is enforcement. Law enforcement agencies , whether it be Local, Federal or CG are all cash strapped these days, and even if they did create more laws, it would be hard to enforce due to the limited resources available to them.
However with better education and mandatory licensing ( not the current Pleasure Craft Operators Card joke we have here in Canada) boaters can help make the lakes safer for everybody.

Bamby

Seaman

I'd be happy if they could just use there turnsignals on the way to the lake. Its a free for all on the roads around here. People going down the road changing lanes with no signals at all. How much time have you lost at intersections because a raft of people failed to use there signals? Its like I'm supposed to know where they are going!! And you think they should operate a boat with courtesy. Come on now this is a ME society with no consideration of anything ar anyone else.

ziggy

Admiral

there's already enough rules. isn't the fact that ya can be boarded for no reason enough....... i see enough infractions when i go out to think why more rules. the ones that are there are already abused.... what it's really about is when the cat's away, the mice will play..........
ps, i voted, leave it alone. there's already rules...

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

There's already Plenty of Rules,+ Laws......

It's a nearly total lack of Education,+ Enforcement is the Problem,....

Besides,.....
Even if they make being Stupid Illegal,..... Stupidity will Still be Prevalent......

Riv

Cadet

Ayuh,.....

There's already Plenty of Rules,+ Laws......

It's a nearly total lack of Education,+ Enforcement is the Problem,....

Besides,.....
Even if they make being Stupid Illegal,..... Stupidity will Still be Prevalent......

Agree. A license, no. A boating course or class, yes. That would include PWC's also. Have seen more accidents involving PWC's.

beets442

Cadet

Hey, What I hate is loose PARENTS that let there kids take the boat out with their buddys, having no regard for anyone!!!Oh my darling wouldn't do that. BS. WAKE UP!!!!! Go out to the lake sometime with someone they don't recognize and see what happens. I'll bet you'll be suprized. In one ear and out the other right. Just wait til someone gets hurt, then its too late.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

education is 99% of it. and common courtesy. Fl, has an open book test, for free to be certified. but it is not working. i am all for a required class room course, $75.00 fee for the instructor, to be required prior to issuing a registration for a boat, the certificate would be life time. at least teach rules of the road, damages wakes do. have an owners course and an operators course. these people operating these high power boats, have no idea what they are doing, or the damage they can do. they would not have insurance, unless the finance agent did not require it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Heres the problem, you can have all the laws and regulations you want but you need someone to enforce them or they are meaningless and with budgets being constantly tightened it isn't likely they will step up patrols.

I have spent countless hours fishing over the last 30 years and I have been checked once and seen a DNR officer on the water maybe 5 times, there isn't enough of a problem to justify the budget.

Having a boaters license or certification would be better, at least people would be made aware of the basics , I have a drivers license and a motorcycle license so why not one for the boat, maybe even teach people what to do at a boat launch(!!!!).

Here in Indiana there are no requirements at all, I would support it but again it comes down to the almighty dollar, these things cost money and need to be enforced so I don't see it in the near future.

tashasdaddy

my point is the require the education before registering a boat. we in Fl, have to prove we have insurance, before we can buy a tag for our vehicles. you have to have a certificate before you can get your registration sticker. the person pays the fee for the class. thus the class should pay for itself. or as in many areas the coast guard aux, could offer it. then possibly there would be atleast one person in the boat that has a clue.

tashasdaddy

5150abf, your point is well taken, there are many areas, that you never see the water police. but this is the area where the education is really needed. big money boats, big money attitude, big money booze. don't get me wrong, i like a beer of drink on the boat.

Attachments

• How-SafeatRiver-main_Thumb.jpg
    How-SafeatRiver-main_Thumb.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0

ncs2929

Cadet

My 2 cents. Here in the Midwest we have great enforcement 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day. The news media comes out films all the Sheriff's, DNR, and Fire Rescue boats for the 10 o'clock news. They are cash strapped and charging fees for all they can right now. Boater education is the key. If you think not look at all the stupid drivers on our roads today and they should have a basic knowledge of the laws. Government intervention is not the answer. The more they fiddle and make laws the more screwed up it will be. Sorry but Education and common sense are the key. I know common sense is lacking in most all aspects of life. I guess age and life lessons are paramount in any endeavor.

Nels

B happy with what U have--Not what U want