Fuel tank pickup tube?

GatorMike

Ensign
I posted this over at the non engine related forum and got just 1 crappy answer. I thought I would try here if it is alright, I have always got good advice here.

Anyway I have a problem with my 115 Johnson sucking the primer bulb flat from time to time. When this happens I blow out the fuel line and things are fine for a while untill it happens again. I have ran it off of an external tank and don't have the problem. I am about 99.9% sure the problem is at the tank.

The problem I am having is like in many boats I have just a 8" inspection port through which to work. I can get a 3/4" wrench on the elbow comming out of the tank but can't get a whole lot of leverage on it and things won't budge. I have it soaking in PB Blaster right now and will try again later. Does anybody have any experience with removing the pickup tube through a small access and mabey any tips. I am assuming the thing just screws into the tank, is that correct?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel tank pickup tube?

yea not very fun working though this hole sounds like your anti siphon valve is sticking from time to time i am probably going to get trashed on this one. but remove the valve and pound out the ball.you can also do the same but once ball is removed clip some of the spring off and reinstall ball and spring so that it will take less vacuum to unseat the ball.note after the bulb has been collapse too many times fuel pump failure is probably not to far off.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I agree on the anti-siphon valve. It is not required if all of the fuel lines and the engine are above the tank. Older anti-siphon valves may not function properly with the newer fuel, so if your fuel lines are low in relationship to the tank, you might want to get a new one.

Since you can clear the line by blowing on it, debris in the tank may be blocking the pick up screen. There are many problems with fiberglass tanks because the resin can be dissolved by alchohol.

If it is simple debris, once you have the pickup removed, pump the fuel through a full sized fuel filter and back to the tank several times with a auto fuel pump.

Use a combination wrench, 3/4 OPEN on the fitting and a rod in the BOX will give you enough leverage.

GatorMike

Ensign

Thanks guys, I knew I would get better responses here than in the other forum.

The good thing is my tank is not fiberglass. I learned over at the Wellcraft forum that Wellcraft has assured several members over there that they have never put a fiberglass tank in any of their boats.

Just one more question ezeke, I am not sure what you mean by a combination wrench.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

He means a wrench that has an open end on one end and a box end on the other end. That's a good idea, and another suggestion is a "crowfoot wrench" That is like an open end wrench that fits a socket ratchet and extension but only takes about an inch or so to swing it. You can really horse on the crowfoot wrench if it is hard to get out.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I like the crowfoot idea even better. I rarely use those, so I forget how good they are.

Attachments

• Crowsfoot..JPG
    Crowsfoot..JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 0

GatorMike

Ensign

Ok thanks, I tried the open end wrench to begin with just couldn't get enough torque. I'll try the crows foot later when it quits raining.

GatorMike

Ensign

I revisited this thread to give another idea in case anybody else ever experiences the same problems I did. I tried the crows foot and it didn't work, almost did but I couldn't get a good bite on the fitting because the fitting was actually not directly under the access port but a little off centered. I talked to a plumber friend of mine to see if he had a basin wrench and he suggested I use a 3/4 inch water meter key, it did the trick. Basically the same principle as the crows foot or the basin wrench but just another idea that happened to work.

Thanks for all the help guys.