Towing With Chevy 5.3l..rpm Issue

SANDMAN91290

Cadet
I know this is a well worn issue, but I am towing in 3 and my rpms at 60mph are 2800 or so. I have 5.3 L and 3.73 gears in a Chevy 2001 Silverado. I am towing a 2001 SX190 Skeeter. Just wondered if anything above this rpm range is bad for motor. Thanks for any info.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Towing With Chevy 5.3l..rpm Issue

Nope,....

That motor isn't even breaking a sweat til you get over 4000rpms...

SANDMAN91290

Cadet

Thanks Bond-o...I thought I was ok, but those motors are way too expensive to guess around with..great day to ya:)

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I have the exact same rig as you SandMan. Our trucks are just entering happy land @ 2800 rpm. Just make sure your cooling system (tranny too) is in good shape.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Why are you towing in 3? Put the truck in D and use tow/haul mode per the manual.

I have the same motor/ rear combo. The truck has 115K on it and has been used to pull a #6300 boat and a #6500 tandem axle horse trailer since new.

Driving down the highway at 65-70 mph the truck loafs along at 2100-2200 rpm and is very happy doing so.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

He is probably towing in 3 because if you hit any type of incline, or wind shift the tranny will shift down then back up then down again. I can honestly say the 5.3 is the worst engine I have ever towed with.

Pony

Rear Admiral

He is probably towing in 3 because if you hit any type of incline, or wind shift the tranny will shift down then back up then down again.

I thought that is what the "haul/tow mode" is designed to stop. Just like taking the vehicle out of overdrive.

I can honestly say the 5.3 is the worst engine I have ever towed with

Just curious.....what were you towing? I have hauled 5k+ a few times with mine and it is the BEST thing I have towed with.

SANDMAN91290

Cadet

Should have said I use the tow mode. I live in flat country and it pulls fine in overdrive. I just wanted to check with you fellows as I have never towed anything as heavy as the boat I have. I will be going up to Bull Shoals lake in the Ozarks (Arkansas) in august. I imagine I will have to use 3 then due to the steep grades I will encounter there. Not the Rockies but I will be loaded for vacation in the bed as well as pulling the boat. Thanks for the info ..i really appreciate it.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Towing my 16ft lawn trailer around town 8mpg, with tow haul mode engaged it felt like the tranny was going to drop out of the bottom of the truck, slam shifts every time. With my 21 ft runabout any type of incline would cause a down shift.... That was with my 2000 model.

I thought that is what the "haul/tow mode" is designed to stop. Just like taking the vehicle out of overdrive.

Just curious.....what were you towing? I have hauled 5k+ a few times with mine and it is the BEST thing I have towed with.

SANDMAN91290

Cadet

lrdchaos...what gear ratio was your rear differential? Mine tows very well..very strong. I have no problems at all pulling my boat fully loaded. Also, Pony, from my understanding, tow/haul just changes the rpm level that the transmission changes gears. Even in the hilly areas around my home area in overdrive at 60 mph the tranny will shift down into 3 while in cruise while in tow mode.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It just changes the shift points to be at a higher RPM. It does not lock out overdrive.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It's going to drop out of OD right around 60 mph. I try to stay in the uppper 60's to around 70 mph to eliminate towing right around a shift point.

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used a 2001 chevy 1500 4x4 extended cab with a 5.3 to tow a 3500lbs car on a 1800lbs trailer on a 250 mile trip and one part included a 5 mile long grade, never hesitated at 75 mph in tow haul mode (wish my dodge towed that good):cool:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It's going to drop out of OD right around 60 mph. I try to stay in the uppper 60's to around 70 mph to eliminate towing right around a shift point.
Mine is in OD at 55. I have the 3.73 rear end.

Bamby

Seaman

I have a 2003 5.3 and it is a fine running pickup. Runs like a rapped ape when I want it to also. The gas milage is good for a full size truck also. I get 19 and bump 20 empty and 14 to 16 pulling pontoon boat or camper. The only quirk with it is the tranny. When you take it out of OD into say second for instance going down a steep grade. Its going to upshift and coast down that hill anyway it wants. Tranny does not respond to dialed in commands of the driver and does what it wants. Other than that its a fine truck.
Gregg

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My RPMs are are right around 2800 as well, you're fine.