Quicksilver Wiring Confirmation

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have an 1986 Mercury 50 outboard, and just need to confirm the wiring and have a question.

Out of the Quicksilver Harness at the control box:

Grey: Tach
Purple: Ignition On +
Black: Neg
Tan (looks more like pink now, no stripes): Temp Gauge

Other questions: I was going to get some guages from Princess Auto (just an ol' beat up fiberglass 14' fishin boat). Their tach has a switch for 2, 4, 6, which will it need to be set at? Will it work with the grey wire (links to the yellow at the rectifier) operate this tach? Or will I need to move the grey wire on the engine. I traced the 'tan' wire back to the engine but cannot see it connected to anything, it goes into a factory taped harness in the engine but never seems to come out....if there is a sending unit there somewhere for temp, where would it be? The number one cylinder spot has the plug in it? Would the factory sending unit operate a standard temp guage or are the values for different guages way out? I figure an un-numbered gauge is vague enough that I would become used to the normal operating range for the gauge regardless if it was accurate or not. I guess the simple answer is to cut that wire and run it with the sender supplied with the gauge to the proper location...

I'm building a new dash panel and though it would be nice to add a tach, temp, and volt gauge to monitor this old motor when I am out on the water. I am still waiting for my carb parts order, so figured I finish the wire and dash....

Ian

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Quicksilver Wiring Confirmation

Thanks, I kinda figured. Anyone got any tips on the other questions? I may just break down and get a quicksilver gauge set from ebay or something, but this is an ol' beat up boat...no point spending a small fortune just for curiosity's sake.

Ian