Need help rewiring

izu

Seaman
I have a 21' 1978 bayliner center console. It had twin 85hp Force engines which were recently junked. I have a 200hp Johnson that I want to connect to the existing wiring which is in good shape. Please advise !!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help rewiring

You said you want to connect the Johnson to the existing wiring. There are essentially two wiring systems on a boat. 1) the boat harness which consists of the pair of wires running from the battery to the fuse/breaker panel at the console and from there to the various accessories. 2) The engine harness which runs from the engine to the control box. The only interconnection between these two systems is a +12V feed from the ignition switch to feed the instrument cluster, a tach feed, and if you have a trim gauge, a single wire from the trim sender. All other connections are boat related and have nothing to do with the engine. The fuel gauge sender wire is part of the boat harness. What you need is a Johnson compatable control box (side mount or binnacle mount) and the harness and control cables that runs from it to the engine. Although I'm not positive, I don't think the existing Force controls and cables are compatable with the Johnson, and for sure, the electrical harness is not..