Inboards vs I/O--long term reliability and maintenance costs

carpaediem123

Seaman Apprentice
Howdy all fellow boaters! I have a question and welcome input from others. I have always owned "go-fast" boats between 21-25 feet with mercruiser I/O's. I want to make a change to a cabin cruiser in the 30 foot range. I am going to be looking in the year range of 1988-1992 due to purchase price and I expect to pay for some initial maintenance/repairs to get things 100% mechanically sound before putting boat in wet storage. NOW, the question is this. I am trying to decide what will be more relilable and cost less to maintain in the long run. A boat with true inboards like a 32' Wellcraft St Tropez or a boat with twin I/O like a 27'-30' Sea Ray Sundancer. I appreciate any and all HELPFUL input.

matt2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Inboards vs I/O--long term reliability and maintenance costs

That's a good question.One advantage with a stern drive is that if the propeller gets fouled you can clear it yourself without diving or shorthauling the boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

maintenance on 2 engines, verus 1, but reliability of having twins, if ones quits. Buy the boat you like the most that you can afford. no reason to settle for something that is not quite right. you will never like it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You will not be the fastest boat on the water but for reliability and fuel efficiently it's hard to beat a diesel inboard.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Inboard is much simpler than I/O. No gimballs, etc. Should be less maintenance.
Cannot trim drive on an inboard the propeller angle is fixed.
I/O is more manueverable (steerable prop).

You pay your money, and you make your choice.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Freshwater cooled inboard,only drawback to single engine is maneuverability,trim is handled by tabs. transmission is simpler,easier to maintain over i/o, more room to work on motors,prop is closer to hull for shallower waters,overall i'd go with the true inboard...Unless its single screw without bowthruster....then its a bear to maneuver.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Speaking of drives. When I move up to size that you're talking about, I want one with a Volvo Penta IPS. http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/

Pretty cool system!

I think the AXIUS system available on big SeaRays is pretty cool too.

BillP

Captain

I/Os are the highest maintenance out there. Straight drive inboards are the lowest. It's not even close betweent the two.

bp

sidthekid

Seaman Apprentice

With that size of boat the choice is simple..inboards. There's just less to go wrong that will sink your boat. Stuffing boxes are much more easier to maintain then outdrives, bellows, gimbels,etc, etc. With twins you have a whole lot of control of the boat. With a single a little more thought process goes into it. Go with the inboards...Sid

arks

Lieutenant Commander

The initial post asks about TWIN engine boats only, so lets go there....

A few years ago I was faced with the same dilemma- I had a 23' go-fast and wanted to move to a larger, more comfortable cruiser. Here's what my research uncovered:

As noted earlier, I/O's (or sterndrives) are a lot more complicated and therefore need more maintenance. Personally, I've ALWAYS found them to be less reliable than inboards.
On the other hand, I/O's have 2 BIG advantages- they can be trimmed/ tilted for shallow water operation or prop replacement, and (due to the fact that there's less hardware below the waterline and the shaft angle can be trimmed) they will perform much better than an identical vessel with inboards. That means faster top end and increased fuel efficiency.
Now, true inboards come in 2 flavors- straight shaft and V drive. It's easy to tell the difference because V drive boats have their engines mounted "backwards" (with the engine cooling pump at the rear). Both types will move the boat thru the water with the same relative efficiency BUT the nature of V drives require their driveline to reverse direction, therefore reducing power and efficiency at the prop- by as much as 10%. And remember, the V drive is another part to maintain and repair. In addition, the shaft packing glands can be almost impossible to service on a V drive, sometimes requiring engine and/ or transmission removal because of their location directly under the mechanicals.

As you can probably guess, I bought a straight shaft inboard. 4 years later and I couldn't be happier. Maintenance is easy enough to do myself and I'm not worried about leaving her wet all year. I could never say that about an I/O.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What a true story on those V drives! Good friend bought a used SEA RAY with twins. Got half way down thru the keys, taking on a lot of water, hauled the boat and found the nut off on the shaft assy. Pulled engine and resecured the big nut. Coming back, got to MARCO IS. and needed 2 pumps running to stay afloat. Mad dash back to PINE IS. to put it on his new to him used lift that was installed in his absence. Lift would not raise the boat so the pumps run for 2 days while the lift is repaired.
He just got finished pulling one of the engines again to replace the shaft seal assy. as well a 2 bilge pumps. No way to get to anything without pulling the eng. Glad it wasnt me. FRED

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The initial post asks about TWIN engine boats only, so lets go there....

Ya know, i swear,sometimes i think im getting old......i didnt see that..:D:D:D

erikgreen

Captain

Inboards are much lower maintenance, much simpler.

Sterndrives are probably easier to find, at least when you're not on the coasts.

A non V-drive inboard will have the engines mounted amidships in most cases, which helps balance the boat. It also frees up a lot of room at the boat's transom and in the aft lower spaces for other things, which gives you more options for use of the back deck, fuel tank mounting, dinghy, etc.

Erik