'57 18hp Johnson and '67 18hp Evinrude

yam350yfm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Since the saga of my fd-11k Johnson 1957 18hp motor continues I have been presented with an opportunity to pick up a 1967 Evinrude 18hp motor. Looks like off the top that the points / condensers are different, the Evinrude has a fuel pump (single line tank), and the mix for the Evinrude is 50:1.

What other differences are there, and what besides the coils interchange? I am considering getting the 'Rude to get on the water for the remainder of the season, and either continuing to work on the Johnson, keep it for parts if there is a lot of interchangeable parts between the '57 and '67, or selling the '57 as is.

Need some quick advise as I am looking at the motor tonight!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '57 18hp Johnson and '67 18hp Evinrude

there were a lot of changes between 57 and 67.

yam350yfm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TD, thanks. I was browsing the parts lists for both motors and there are a few things the same such as the carb rebuild kit and coils. The points/condenser kits were different. Looks like the props interchange. Is the 67 a good motor? I have a friend with one that is sometime between 68 to 71 or so and his runs pretty well. Any gotcha's I should look for?

As a side note, I contacted a couple of pro's on the '57 and they are stumped as to why it will not fire. Have spark, air, fuel, compression and no fire.....

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the points are the same. The condensers are different capacity. There is a lot of stuff that is the same and a lot that is different. Shall I guess 50-50? I suppose whatever you actually have need for will be different if your luck is like mine.

Never heard of an 18 Evinrude that won't run if in good shape. Gotta be something wrong there that you aren't looking at.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

If it's got gas, spark and compession, God says it has to start. Look at link and sync, how much compression?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If it's got gas, compression and spark... at the right time, it has to fire!

I just sold a '66 Evinrude 18hp and it was an excellent engine. I miss it but might swing a deal with the folks that bought it to get it back :)

I also have an FD-11 (or 2) and there are lots of parts that are the same but I would not part out the fd-11 to get the E18 running... get em both running :)

yam350yfm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I picked up the 67 Evinrude on Saturday and took it out. I got it from the original owner, started on the first pull every time, has good compression, ran great. They had it for their cabin and would take it back with them each fall to get serviced, the kept it in their basement until spring when it would go on the boat. The sold their cabin a couple of years ago and included the boat (w/o motor) in the deal, so they had this motor. They were cleaning the basement and decided they had no use for it and put it up for sale. I got the motor in great overall condition, tank, new hose with pump bulb, stand, new in-the-package prop, the original prop (good condition), a weed prop, and the manual for $250. I had hauled my boat up with me and we put it on the transom and headed for the lake.

Now I can get out for the rest of the season and decide what to do with the fd-11.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got a good deal on that 67. My FD-11 is one of my best motors, you need to get your's running!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That sounds like a great deal. It will probably out last you if still maintained!

yam350yfm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will have to post some pictures in the near future of the package that I was able to put together with my son. So far we have less that $500 and have a 14' fiberglass Lund (made by Shell Lake), a solid bunk style trailer, the '57 fd-11 with new coils / ignition, rebuilt carb, and tank, the '67 18hp 'rude, with all the other "stuff" that came with it, and another stand that we built. Basically by looking locally, shopping craigslist, and using things that we already had we have a pretty good package for low $$$. Instead of a 14 year old hanging out at the mall with friends he as learned to replace a transom, fiberglass repair, rebuild a carb, replace ignition components, basic outboard knowledge, install a battery box, basic trailer maint such as lights / wheel barrings, etc. Now he has a boat that he can take out or tinker with for many years.....

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Excellent. I can only hope that when my boy gets older I can convince him to do the same :)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Get the Johnson running, dig up a set of Shipmaster controls and cables and put both on the transom, add in a stick-steer system and you're golden with a set of twins.