1965 Sea King Environment

siniscta

Recruit
I have a !965 Sea King 8 hp. Fired it up first time in a least 20 yrs.. Runs strong! After I went with a 50 to 1 oil / gas mixture it smoked less but still smokes alot. What do I need to do to make this thing a little more environmentally friendly? After I run it in a barrel for awhile the water is really dirty. The water is really frothy and it also has spots of oil or grease or whatever. There is a film of gas also. I know this is an old motor but I plan on using it to catch fish not kill them. I'm very conscientious when it comes to the environment but I can't afford a newer more efficient motor. What can I do to make this beast cleaner. It's really a cool engine.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 1965 Sea King Environment

I cant speak for seaking which was probably made by gale or westbend. They really did not care about the environment least as far as outboards went. It will always be a dirty motor and if you try and run it clean and lean it will burn out. You can try doing a decarb on it. Also get a parts manual for it along with a service manual. It might have a puddle drain system that you can jury rig so it is not dumping gas into the lake. I did it on my chrysler 45 and it just entailed an extra fuel line drilled through the lower cover and a small plastic bottle taped to it to catch the extra gas. Check with chrysler crew and see if their manuals go back that far.