Adjusting trim tab anode?

AmericanKiwi

Recruit
I have a 23ft deck boat with Yamaha F225 that I just replaced an Aluminum 13-1/2 x 21 prop and installed a 15-1/4 x 19 Yamaha SWSII Stainless. After talking to someone about the prop "chatter/rattle" I am experiencing only at min RPM's I was told that this may be a result of the trim tab anode not being adjusted correctly. The manual states that an improperly adjusted trim tab could cause difficult steering, however it does not say much else. I am going to test this theory this weekend, but if anyone can offer any experience on the subject of prop rattle/chatter or anode adjustment, it sure would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Adjusting trim tab anode?

The trim tab has nothing to do with that noise unless the prop is hitting it. The trim tab is for compensating for the torque of the prop which can cause the boat to pull one way or the other depending on the rotation.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

agree with bhile.... the only way it would chatter is if it is hit by the prop or the bolt came loose....

AmericanKiwi

Recruit

Gentlemen,

Purhaps you could take a look at my posting of July 22nd titled "Prop Rattle" which will give you more background on my problem. I agree with your comments, but I am exploring all the possibilities and as you may have experieneced in the past...sometimes it is the not so obvious things that can cause a problem. The trim tab suggestion came from a very expeinced prop guy and I'll be testing his theory this weekend.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Check the prop and make sure there is no play in it (back and forth and up and down). I'm not very familiar with Yammies but the clutch dogs on my Merc sometimes chatter in reverse. Nothing to worry about.