Decarb Gone Real BAD

sleggitt

Recruit
OK so here is the skinny. I by a boat, my first one. I have never even looked at an engine little alone worked on one. I had a starter problem and thought oh no what am I going to do. Called the Marine and they want 400 bucks to replace a starter motor. I am thinking there gose my families summer. I caint afford 400 dollars for a starter motor. So I get on to this wondefull forum and read a little, tincker a littel, and what do you know I replace the starter and all is good in Mudville. So now I think I can do this engine stuff I did a compression check it was 130 Yeah !!! 130 Yeah!!!! 120 %^$$.
So I have read enough that I now they are suppose to be with a few pounds of each other. So I start a decarb I go and buy my can of Seafoam and connect the little red tube and start spraying I was spraying it in to the spark plug hole and the tube pops off and goes right in. Now I have a red tube some where in there I have fished for hours to no avail. Does any one have any ideas????

D

DJ

Re: Decarb Gone Real BAD

Take the head off or the side (exhaust) cover. I'd go side cover since the gasket will be a lot cheaper.

You should find it. If you don't see it, don't worry about it. It's probably gone down into the exhaust.

GrindKore

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at this on a brighter side, at least you can inspect the pistons and cylinders up close and personal. On the serious note, make sure you meticulously document all the nuts and bolds that you remove and where they are positioned. Also, some components may slip out and fall in the block while you are taking thing apart, be very careful and do not end-up with stuff inside your power head.

You will also likely need to replace gaskets once you start removing head plate. Make sure you clean the old gasket off the metal surface before bolting it back together. DO NOT over-torque bolts, fine threads in aluminum are very easy to strip.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Call an outboard repair shop or two and get there opinion before taking the engine apart.
It's plastic I wonder if it would melt immediately and pass out the exhaust with no damage to the engine?
Or pm Frank Acampora and get his opinion! He knows these engines well.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

STOP !!

Don't do a thing with it.

I have done this twice,and know of others who have done the same thing.

Both times I started the engine and all has been well for over 10 years.

The plastic tube is soft plastic, and will shear off and go out the exhaust, or burn up.

Both times, I found small pieces of the tube in the midsection the next time I removed the lower unit. There was no residue or sign of the tube on the sparkplug or the piston crown.

So rather than get into something that is unnecessary and may be over your abilities, just forget about it.

Happy boating.

sleggitt

Recruit

Roscoe I was hoping to hear from you it was your post i was following for the decarb. I actually came to the same conclusion last night. I started the engine and it seems fine. Thanks to all of you for you wonderful knowledge it has been invaluable