UPDATE: 3.0l manifold pressure test question

Status
Not open for further replies.

logran

Cadet
I pressure tested the manifold on my 95 OMC/Volvo 3.0L engine. It wouldn't hold pressure:( So, I'm assuming that means it has a bad manifold? Is that correct? I was REALLY hoping for a bad gasket or something. Can't really afford a new manifold right now so I guess it will sit for a while if that's the case. In any case, please let me know you're thoughts.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 3.0l intake pressure test question

Never heard of pressure checking the intake system before, can you explain in detail what/why/and how you did it?

logran

Cadet

my appoligies...I meant I tested my manifolds. Sorry about the confusion. I retitled my thread as well. Any help would still be appeciated though.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 3.0l manifold pressure test question

Intake or exhaust manifold? You should only have one of each... not sure which you're talking about.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

How did you block off the Ports,..??

logran

Cadet

Bond-O,

I removed the rear hose going into the riser from the cooling "T", inserted a metal dowl into the hose and hose clamped it. I fitted a quick connect air connector to the other end which was removed from the T-stat housing. Is that sufficient? did I miss something?

The reason I'm pressure testing is water in cylinders and slightly milkly oil. See the following thread for more info http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=265789 Good compression, oil about 1/2 inch high on stick used 3-4 times since oil change
I'll most likely be tearing down this weekend unless I hear something telling me different.

Danond,

It's a 3.0L 4 cylinder. The manifold is combined intake/exhaust manifold.

Bondo

Staff member

I removed the rear hose going into the riser from the cooling "T", inserted a metal dowl into the hose and hose clamped it. I fitted a quick connect air connector to the other end which was removed from the T-stat housing. Is that sufficient? did I miss something?

Ayuh,....

You've gotta pull the Riser,+ clamp a block,+ Gasket in it's place.....

It's the Riser's gasket face,+ the gasket face of the Manifold where they tend to Leak......

The Pressure test will find Cracks, or Rust thru....

logran

Cadet

Bond-o, Thanks, I did find that out today and it was a "Duh" moment to not do that in the first place. Will try that this weekend and report back but I'm still thinkin its a manifold unfortunately.

logran

Cadet
Re: UPDATE: 3.0l manifold pressure test question

Checked the manifold today with the riser removed and blocked off. Definitely a manifold leak. Can hear it leaking in through the intake and exhaust ports. Removed manifold and water tested. Can see water coming into the exhaust at a pretty rapid pace. Im sure at temp it would be worse. Looks like I'm in for a new manifold :(

Nick Bain

Cadet
would a leaky intake manifold make it not want to start on a carburated model? OMC. 3.0 1988

Status
Not open for further replies.