wetting out woven roving

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer
im having a hard time wetting out my woven roving. i think its 24 oz cloth if i remember right. well anywhaz my method so far has been to first wet the area im applying the cloth too lay my pre cut peice over the top of the area and then use a dry paint brush or roller to push the cloth into the resin and then add additional resin to the top side pushing it into the fabric to get it wet out. but its not easy takes a long time, and when i try adding resin and working the top of the cloth with a roller it ends up grabbing the cloth on the back side and eather the cloth moves or lifts. it takes me so long that my resin starts to cure while im still trying to get all the air out. and im already using half the recommended amount of hardener to slow the curing process. and iv been working on it early in the morning when temps are the coolest to help slow it down as well. anyone have any sujestions. and my tequnece worked great for the matt but this woven is just so hard to get fully weted out.

Robj

Lieutenant
Re: wetting out woven roving

What type of resin are you using? If polyester how much catalyst are you adding?

You need to combine matt with woven for it to stick. With poly I just used a roller to apply and then the other roller to remove the air bubbles. Maybe the roller that you are using is not big enough or th epiles are not long enough to hold sufficient amounts of resin?

Have a great day,

Rob.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

im using poly and the mat has already been applied and wetted out fine, im starting to think that maby im just simply not using enough resin. iv been mixing it so i have a working time of around 45 mins.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure how big of an area you're doing, but just pour the resin on the roving and use a fuzzy roller to spread it around, it should only take a minute or two to do even a large area.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

well iv got it working alot better for me now, my big sections are 10-12ft long. im not used to using such heavy material and thought i was putting down enough resin and it was just soaking it right up and i was trying to press the fabric with a roller to get it to wet out, now using more resin its working like a charm